FORTY-SIX. house of hasty

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Miss Devenish," a determined Mara began her case, standing up and facing the woman she recently slander, "you worked as a cook at Beacon Grove School nine years ago. Is that right?"

Vera merely shrugged. "I wouldn't have put it on my resume if it weren't."

"So, can you explain why you were not in this photo," Mara leaned forward and pressed a key on her laptop, causing the monitor which held the article on Vera to change to a photo of three men employed at Beacon Grove Boys School. River raised her eyebrows, sharing a shocking look with Amber, "of the entire kitchen team when they won the award for excellence that year?"

"I arrived at the beginning of the academic year, which starts in September. Uh, what is the date of that article, Mara?"

Mara hesitantly looked down at her evidence before meeting Vera with a disheartened look. "April 20th."

Vera gave a smug smile. "Five months before I arrived."

A chorus of groans spread around the room, most coming from the residents of Anubis House. River threw her head back in annoyance. Either Mara really did have it wrong or Vera was always one step ahead of her. But River still had faith in Mara, as the nerd wouldn't have posted the article without double-checking everything. Besides, River always thought there was something fishy about Vera, especially when she stole Jerome's gem.

. . .

Throughout Mara's case, she had called up Jasper Choudary, who now sat beside Vera. River leaned forward in her seat, a curious look on her face wondering how the man who managed the Frobisher Library was connected to Vera.

"You recommended Vera for the job," Mara began her stance, "but you told me you barely know her."

"She was a friend of a friend," Jasper simply explained. "I was happy to make the recommendation."

"Did you think it was strange that Vera was the only applicant?"

"I wouldn't know about that."

"Mara, I'm confused," Vera spoke up, an innocent smile plastered on her face, one that Noah Michaels really wanted to wipe off. "Are you questioning Mr. Choudary's character now too? Do you have any scruples at all about whose reputation you tarnish?"

"I'm trying to establish how you came to get the job here and why," Mara answered, keeping her determination up high.

"Mr. Sweet hired me. Perhaps you would like to interrogate him next?"