RAIN | b. hoover

bertholdt | gender-neutral!reader

     "thank the walls it's raining!" connie cried out in happiness, staring at the training grounds with tears in his eyes. the dark puff of smoke up above roared and cried, staining the ground with its salty tears. a cold zephyr blew by, making you shiver and hug your arms tight for some warmth. the usual scorching heat of summer was now replaced with the cold exhales of the rain.

     around you, you could hear sighs of relief from your friends, knowing that another day of dreadful training would be skipped due to the terrible weather. in your eyes, it was a gift by the gods. all of you could barely stand up and walk properly after corporal levi's 'easy training' for the past week, each muscle you had failing to support your bones.

     the sudden change of weather was definitely a miracle and all of you couldn't be more thankful.

     "alright, let's go and use this free day to play truth or dare!" jean cheered, "i vote to play in mikasa and sasha's room!"

     the brunette eyed her friend and grimaced before exclaiming, "why our room?!"

     eren huffed and pulled himself away from the stone wall he was leaning on, "you guys have the biggest room out of all of us! it's unfair, if you ask me." he pouted, bottom lip sticking out.

     you watched your friends cheer for the two female to agree, stifling a chuckle as mikasa heaved a sigh before slowly nodding. "fine. but no mess." she said quietly, eyebrows meeting as she frowned. you bit back a smile and snickered, knowing full well that there would be more than a mess with jean and eren around.

     eren grinned at his sister and turned to face the group, "everyone coming?" he asked, his smile growing brighter at each person that nodded and agreed.

     however, when it came to you and bertholdt, his smile turned into a small pout. without missing a beat, you lied and thought of an excuse. "my body hurts a lot and i just want to stay at my room. sorry eren, maybe next time?" you suggested, even flashing him a sweet smile to make him agree without any second thoughts.

     his emerald eyes drifted off to the lanky male behind reiner, who was now scratching his nape sheepishly. "i was hoping to catch up on some sleep." he mumbled, eyes trained on the floorboards.

     "let bert rest!" krista exclaimed with a small frown, "remember the time corporal made him run for six hours yesterday?"

     reiner let out a loud laugh beside her and shook his head at the memory, "and it's all because connie got him in trouble!"

     the said male panicked and faced the dark-haired male with apologetic eyes, "i'm sorry again, bert!"

     bertholdt awkwardly chuckled and shrugged, "it's alright, i guess." he replied casually. the golden-eyed male sighed in relief and his tense posture relaxed, flashing bertholdt a thankful smile instead.

     "well, we'll go ahead! see you later!" the group waved and began walking to the opposite direction, their excited chatter decreasing to a mumble as they turn around on a corner before completely disappearing from your line of sight.