CONTROL | m. bott

marco | fem!reader

     marco looked down at the bowl of soup with sad eyes, trying to ignore his best friend flirting with you. it's been at last ten minutes since they started talking and he was already losing his appetite at how cheesy jean's pick-up lines were or the fact that he had the guts to do it in front of him. marco should be happy and supporting his best friend; jean confessed to him about how he likes you and how he'd do anything to make you his. marco couldn't do anything, and through the aching heart, he smiled and told him "good luck".

     he tried to be happy, he really did. but how could he when his best friend also likes the same girl he had his eyes on from the very start?

     the freckled boy wanted to be selfish and claim you immediately but his selflessness stopped him from doing so. he'd rather watch his best friend be with the person he was happy with and he can't possibly take that away. he had to control his feelings otherwise his friendship with jean will end badly and that's the last thing he wants.

     but surely, marco deserves happiness too, right? was it wrong to long for happiness with the girl his best friend was also vying for?

     "see you tomorrow, y/n." jean smiled in glee and watched you wave goodbye before leaving the mess hall with sasha. jean heaved a sigh dreamily, his eyes trained on your figure just as you disappeared. he turned to marco with a huge grin of relief who took a small bite of his bread, "marco! did you see that? i managed to hold a conversation with her without me wetting my pants!" he joked heartily, laughing as he slapped marco's back.

     the dark-haired boy chuckled and pushed jean's hand away, "congrats on that. maybe if you keep it up she'll finally like you or something."

     jean smiled and nodded, "yeah. i hope so."

     marco stood up afterward and picked up his unfinished food, planning to throw it away. this somewhat worried his best friend upon seeing it, since he knew marco would never waste food. "is something wrong? you haven't finished your food."

     the boy looked down on his plate and shrugged, "it's nothing, i just don't have the appetite." he proceeded to leave without saying another word nor waiting for his friend to say something else. jean watched him with furrowed brows, wondering what had just happened.

— ❂ —

     marco sat down inches away from the edge of the cliff, clinging to his green cape tightly when the cold air whistled. it was past curfew when he decided to get fresh air before he sleeps, he needed time for himself after everything that had happened in the past months inside the camp.

      he focused his attention on the bright moon, no clouds in sight to hide its beauty and the stars that twinkled and made the night sky more ethereal than it already was. the forest just below the cliff looked like a place out of a fairytale book, it wasn't creepy nor scary, it looked so peaceful that marco wondered what it was like to grow up around nature. he was too distracted by the beauty of his surroundings that he didn't hear someone clearing their throat behind him.

     "marco!" the cadet jumped in surprise, his hands immediately clutching his chest tight when his heartbeat quickened. he turned around, eyes narrowed, and saw you standing with a sheepish smile.