Ch34

"What the hell, Bryndle!" I spoke through gritted teeth.

"What? It's not like I wanted him to buy it," She stared down at the show rooms floor.

"That's not what I'm talking about-" I started. "Why was I holding a gun up to you're head?" Tears began to sting my eyes.

"California-"

"Please, Bryn. Just answer me-" I tried my best not to lose it.

"I did it the day after I found out about you guys, he meant everything to me, and you knew that." Bryn was still crouched down picking up the money Sam had thrown at her feet.

"But why a gun?" I asked traumatized by my father.

"Because- you basically killed me." Her answers where honest.

"I'm sorry-"

"Why do you think I wanted to sell it?" She cut me off finally standing up on her feet.

"I don't know," I whispered.

"Things are different now, California. The saddest thing is, that's the best painting I've ever done, and that's the piece that got me into college." She bit her lip before letting wet tears fall down her makeup less face.

"Bryn-"

"Sam's paying for me to go to college." She sarcastically laughed wiping away the tears that fell.

"Goddamnit." She continued, starting to walk away still holding the money in her hands.

Jack stood behind me listening to every single word that was spoken.

"Shit." I whispered to myself.

"Hey, why don't you drive Karma back to your apartment. I'll stay with Bryn and we can get a cab." Jack suggested, massaging my shoulders.

"I don't know, Jack."

"Please- Karma doesn't need to see this." Jack lifted my chin up.

"I love you, babe. Don't wait up." He pecked my lips handing over his keys.

"Bryn!" He called not giving me a chance to say goodbye.

"Hey, let's get out of here." I found Karmen in a corner sitting on a bench looking up at a blank portrait.

"Do you think she really loves me?" She asked still focusing on the wall infront of her.

"Oh course."

"I'm not so sure," She stood up leaving her champagne flute on the bench.

"C'mon," I sighed guiding her towards the back exit.

"We'll see you tomorrow, sweetie." Her mother piped, not looking at her the same.

"Night." She briefly smiled.

"You're leaving already?" I asked.

"Yep, third flight out." She looked over, holding the exit door open.

"So what does this mean for you and Bryn?" I hesitated.

"I have no idea." She folded her arms over her chest, walking to the other side of Jack's Jeep.

"I think things will work themselves out," I said once we were both sitting inside the four door vehicle.

"We'll see." She looked out the window after pulling her seatbelt across her abdomen.

She extended her arm out towards the radio, gently turning the knob. The speakers quickly kicked in playing one of my favorite songs.

Wolves, by phosphorescent.

(play this song while reading, if you can. it helps set the tone for the rest of the chapter.)

'Mama there's wolves in the house'

'And mama they won't let me out'

'And mama they're mating at night'

'And mama they won't make nice'

"Hey- hey, up ahead." Karma panicked sitting up in her seat.

"What?" I asked squinting at the road in front of me.

"That car, it's swerving!" She shouted before covering her eyes.

"I can't see that far ahead-" I cried, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"Pull over, pull over." She repeated pushing up against the dashboard.

"I can't!" I shouted watched the guard rails continue up the road.

"Flash your headlights," Karma suggested pulling at the roots of her hair.

"Okay, okay." I hastily breathed.

Nothing.

"They're coming closer!" She screamed hiding her head in her hands.

"What do I do!" I yelled finally getting a good view of the car.

"Um- um, put it in reverse." She stuttered and I did as she said.

My heart was pounding out of my chest, watching the car drive completely into my lane now.

"I can't, I can't- they're driving to fast." I cried pushing off of the steering wheel.

"Duck!" Karma shouted before everything in front of me was white.

'And mama I know you're too wise'

'To wait till those wolves make nice'

I could hear Karma's scream as the car hit us head on, pushing Jack's jeep over the railing. We rolled four times before hitting a tree and coming to a fast stop, my door was jammed shut and I couldn't breathe, the horn was stuck and blared loud through the snow capped trees.

"Karma-" I choked being suffocated by the airbag.

Her cries were cut off when the glass from the windshield fell through onto the dashboard and onto us.

I heard feet running in the snow followed by faint screaming.

"Fuck!" They shouted kicking the back tire of Jack's Jeep.

Sam?

To be continued...

{vote}