Ch9

Cali's POV

I left Sam's house a little after we finished the pizza because it was about to rain. He offered me a ride but I told him I wanted to walk only because things were already pretty awkward.

Once I got home I saw my moms car still parked out front so I looked around for her.

"Mom?" I called running my hands over the mail left on the counter.

"In here!" She yelled coming from behind me.

"I'm home." I peeked into her office.

"I see." She looked up at me through her glasses.

"Whatcha doing?" I walked closer towards her desks picking up a document.

"Private information." She snatched it from my hand.

"New case?" I smiled sitting down in the chair in front of her.

"Hard case." She ran her fingers through her hair looking down at her computer screen.

"What now?" I asked clicking her pen.

"Missing child reports." She typed into the keyboard.

"Any leads?"

"We have one girl who called 911 off of an untraceable phone and she's been missing for a long time now so I'm looking up her records." She started to write stuff down.

"How old is she?" I hesitantly asked.

"Cali you know I can't give out information." She closed her laptop standing up.

"Yeah I know," I picked at the armrest.

"Alright well I'm going into the office to sort things out." She kissed my forehead gathering up her papers.

"Don't wait up for me, there's leftovers in the fridge." She walked towards the front door.

"Love you too." She ran back to the kitchen to grab her umbrella.

Once she left I unlocked my phone checking my notifications.

I had a lot from twitter about some music festival on the beach back home. I checked my iMessage and saw a text from Emily.

E: A lot of us are going to in n out and the movies, you in?

C: What time?

E: Were all meeting at in n out at eight, do you want me to pick you up?

C: Please?

E: Alright be there at seven thirty.

C: See you then

It was already almost six do I decided to take a shower washing my hair letting it air dry. I put on makeup since I had time and just brushed through my hair leaving it generally straight. I changed into a black tank top with a lace overlay and some light wash denim jeans from pacsun. I checked the time and put on my studded sandals hopping down the steps, I grabbed my cross body bag and waited on the porch for Emily.

It was getting dark and I saw Emily's headlights pull up in the driveway right before she honked the horn.

I opened the passenger side door sliding in holding my bag in my hand.

"Cali!" She smiled at me leaning in for a hug.

"I needed that." I laughed.

"Why what's wrong?" She asked pulling out.

"Everything." I said unable to pin point the exact problem.

"Well I'm here for you." She warmly smiled.