Ch14 | blood everywhere

SFTC (songs for the chapter):

Poison and wine- The civil wars

Youth- Daughter

Cosmic love- Florence and the machine

Au Revoir- Coldplay

-

College starts in a week and I have no school supplies whatsoever, not even a backpack. As I weave through the aisles of Target I begin checking my notepad, everything I need resting at the bottom of my shopping cart. It is so weird to think that I do this now, not my mom or Bryn. I am an adult, and adults go grocery shopping.

My head is buzzing and I have no idea why, all of my thoughts keep finding their way back to Jack and how distant I felt in last nights video chat.

He seems perfectly fine just being able to Skype with me, but I hate the separation.

We talked for about two hours last night before he passed out on the other end, me being left to hang up on him.

The lady at the register smiles at me before ringing up my items. I fish through my purse pulling out my debit card before she can finish.

As I leave the almost empty store my phone begins to ring and I pull it from my back pocket.

"Thanks for falling asleep on me last night babe." I smile without thinking.

"Um- California?"

Shit. I pull the phone away from my ear to read the same number Sam texted me off of at the coffee shop.

"I'm so sorry- I wasn't thinking." I almost frown, wishing it was Jack.

"No you're fine, I just wanted to know if everything is okay, you just ran out of the cafe like someone had died-" He stifles an uncomfortable laugh.

"No, I'm fine. It was Jack, he left last night." I mutter, not really weighing the pros and cons of letting Sam know this.

"He went back to Texas?" The shock in his voice is evident.

"Yes, that is what I said." I pipe, a sudden disliking towards Sam striking me.

"Oh- well that's too bad." I can practically hear him smiling.

"You up for a drink? Me and Ken are at the bar on 5th, you should come." He continues when I lack a response.

"You do realize it's not even noon yet," I laugh, questioning why him and Ken would even be drinking in the first place.

"They don't ID, just meet me at the bar." He hangs up abruptly.

Another wave of missing Jack hits me and I am tempted to sit at that bar with Sam and drink away my sorrow. Fuck it.

I tuck fallen strands of my hair behind my ear as I walk into the partially crowded bar.

"Excuse me," I quietly mumble pushing past the pool tables.

"You made it." Sam smiles, bringing his drink up to his lips.

"What is that?" I grimace, the unpleasant smell engulfing my senses.

"A simple hello would've been nice," He scoffs spinning his chair back around so that he's facing the counter again.

"Where's Ken?" I ask jumping up on the stool next to him.

"About that-" He sucks on his teeth laughing a little.

"You lied about her being here?" I draw my eyebrows together in confusion.