twenty-six

Ashton's POV

When the ambulances and police came everything happened so fast. Kaylee was taken away to the state mental institution which was only twenty minutes away. Michael was loaded up in an ambulance and rushed to the hospital. Dr. Warren was too. After what happened she would require therapy for two months. She was brain washed by Kaylee.

Luke and I on the other hand were taken to the police station to answer questions. Just my luck, Brent was the one who asked the questions.

When we first walked in he just looked at me and said, "You just can't stay out of trouble, can you?"

I simply replied with, "Yes, I can except for this time Michael almost got murdered and we're witnesses."

That made him quiet. He sat down at a table and Luke and I sat down across from him.

"So, care to tell me the story?" Brent asked.

"We were at the lake because we-" I stopped Luke before he could continue to tell the truth.

"We were looking for Dr. Warren since she was missing, as you probably already know since you are a police officer." I lied. We weren't looking for Dr. Warren, plus, something doesn't seem right here. Brent smells like weed.

"You did know that, right?" I asked.

"I did not." Brent answered nervously.

"But weren't you working here the night she went missing? Didn't you hear about it? Almost the whole town knows about it." I said back.

"I wasn't here that night." He mumbled.

"What was that?" I asked. "You told my mum you were working. I'm pretty sure your exact words were 'Bye, honey, I'm going to work and I'll be home at five'. Did you or did you not say that?"

"I'll ask the questions here." Brent said sternly, hitting the table with his fist. "All I want to know is why would Kaylee do any of this?"

"I'm not sure." Luke answered.

"What made her brain wash Dr.Warren?" He questioned.

"Maybe she knew too much." I muttered quietly staring at the table.

"What?" Brent asked, staring at me.

"Maybe she knew something that Kaylee didn't want her to know and the best way for her to keep whatever it was a secret was to brainwash her or kill her," I answered, looking up at Brent. "We're lucky she's alive."

"Mr. Hemmings you may leave." Brent said. Luke got up and waited outside in the hall for me.

"Is there something your not telling me?" Brent shouted at me.

"No." I simply said.

"And how dare you embarrass me like that by accusing me of lying to your mother about working that night. It is none of your business what I do." Brent said angrily before storming out of the room.

****

When Michael was rushed to the hospital they were worried he may not make it. We were all so scared. I was afraid that I'd wake up the next morning with only one best friend left.

It's been a whole day and we still haven't seen Michael. He's home now, most likely resting. I heard his mum talking on the phone to my mum and she said that Michael is barely talking to her. Then they started saying how this is crazy how all these things are happening all at once ever since Calum went missing. Calum's not to blame though, 'C' is.

****

"Michael's up in his room." Michael's mum said to Luke and I. "He's awake so just go on up."

We walked upstairs into Michael's room. He was sitting at the end of his bed, staring at the ground. When we walked in he didn't even look up.

"Hey." I said to him, hoping he wouldn't ignore us like he's been ignoring everyone else.

Michael didn't say anything or look up at us. He was ignoring us.

"Listen," I started to say. "We didn't come her for you to ignore us."

Michael finally looked up at us, waiting for us to say something worth his time.

"We talked to the police the other day and we lied to them again." Luke finally spoke. "We told them we were looking for Dr. Warren. They don't know about the whole 'C' thing."

Michael cursed under his breath. "We've lied to them enough. Maybe we should just tell them everything."

"Do you even know what you're saying?" Luke asked. "If we tell them everything we could get in trouble for some of the things we've done. We lied to the police. Surely, we'll get in some big trouble for that and don't forget what happened when Calum was still here."

Two months before Calum disappeared on Halloween, we were trying to prank Tyson back for some stupid thing he had done to us one time. We were just trying to have some fun but it went all wrong. His garage caught on fire while he was in it. He didn't get out of the garage fast enough. Now he is blind in his left eye. To this day, nobody knows it was us.

"Besides, Kaylee was taken to a mental institution about twenty minutes away. She can't hurt us anymore." I said. "Do you know what this means?"

"Yes, it means my ex-girlfriend was insane." Michael replied. Luke was about to laugh but then stopped himself.

"No." I shook my head. "It means we are safe now. We are completely done with 'C' threatening us and hurting our loved ones. We aren't 'C's dolls anymore."

"You really think so?" Michael asked.

"Yeah. We can finally do whatever without having to worry about 'C'. It's all over." I answered.

We all felt like this huge weight was lifted off of our shoulders but then it was quickly put back on when each of our phones buzzed. We all froze and just stared at each other with terrified expressions.

Luke was the first to get his phone out of his pocket, then Michael, and then me. It was a text from our secret admirer.

This isn't over. I was just getting started. -C

_________

Omg so there's that short chapter. I felt bad for taking so long to update.

Anyways, who do you think sent that text? Was it Kaylee or is 'C' more than one person?