two

The next morning, Luke texted me saying that he got a text from a restricted number. He invited Michael and I to stay at his house tonight to talk about it.

At around seven at night, Michael picked me up and we went to Luke's house. The drive there was quiet and awkward.

"Listen Ash, about what happened last year, I am sorry. I just don't want things to be awkward between us anymore. I want to be friends again." Michael said as he drove. You could tell by his voice that he really is sorry for what he did.

Last year a little before Calum went missing I had a girlfriend. Apparently, Michael had kissed my girlfriend while I was dating her. I didn't know that he kissed her and Calum told Michael that it wasn't right to keep this a secret from me and that I should know. Calum said that if Michael wouldn't tell me that Calum would. Michael didn't tell me. Calum did.

"I accept your apology." I told him rather than saying 'It's okay' because if I say 'It's okay' instead he'll think it's okay to do that again which it is not.

When we got to Luke's house we sat down in his living room to talk.

"So, I got a text." Luke began, getting his phone out of his pocket. "It's from 'C'. Take a look." He showed us the message.

Oh, isn't that cute! You think telling the police about me will get rid of me? Let me guess, you believe in the Easter bunny too. -C

"This is serious. No matter what we do 'C' won't leave us alone." Luke said.

"Are we even sure 'C' is Calum? It could be anybody." Michael suggested. "It could be someone from school or someone in town."

"Whoever it is, they seem to know a lot about us, more than we know about ourselves honestly. We need to be careful who we talk to and trust." I say.

****

Around midnight we all start to get tired and we fall asleep. We only got to close our eyes for about ten minutes before being awaken by all three of our phones going off at the same time.

Wow, you guys didn't invite me to this sleepover, how nice of you. The only thing that could make this sleepover better is some popcorn. -C

"Someone is definitely spying on us!" Michael exclaimed, before yawning.

"What does he mean it'd be better with popcorn?" I asked.

"I don't know." Luke shook his head, standing up and walking towards the kitchen which wasn't far since we are in the living room. "But I'm not gonna be the one to make 'C' mad so I am going to make popcorn."

Luke opened the cupboard which the popcorn usually was in but this time something else was there. At first wen he opened the cupboard he immediately closed it and backed up with a scared look on his face.

"What is it?" Michael asked.

Michael and I walked over to the cupboard and opened it. At first we were surprised what we saw. It was a mask. Michael pulled it out of the cupboard.

"Is this your mask?" I asked Michael. "Didn't Calum borrow it from you and wear it on Halloween?"

"Yeah, he did but this one can't be mine. Mine is at home in my closet." Michael answered, setting the mask on the counter.

"Wait." Luke said, flipping the mask over. "There's a note."

Don't you just love Halloween? It's the one night you can be somebody you're not but for me it's like Halloween everyday. -C

"What does this mean?" I asked, confused. This is really starting to freak me out.

"It means 'C' -or Calum- has more than one personality which they hid with just one personality that they thought nobody would really hate." Michael suggested.

"Maybe 'C' isn't Calum. Maybe it's his killer." I suggested.

"That's crazy, Ash!" Luke exclaimed. "You really think Calum is dead?"

"There's a chance. Where else would he be?" I asked. "It's not like he's somewhere nice since he has no money."

"He's right." Michael chimed in. "I think Calum could be dead somewhere."