twenty-five

Michael's POV

Tonight was the night the three of us have been so nervous yet excited for. We were going to get some answers.

C is giving us back Dr. Warren which is very stupid of them since Dr. Warren could just tell us who C is. C has always been very smart about everything they have done. They are always one step ahead which makes me doubt they'll just give us back Dr. Warren without a catch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Warren was dead when we get her back.

The plans are we are going to the masquerade since it's tonight then we go 'meet up' with C and get some answers.

I'm so nervous. What if Luke and Ash are right? What if it is Kaylee? These questions are the reasons why I couldn't sleep last night. I feel like I could be sick. I hope they aren't right. They can't be. They probably aren't. Besides why would she be C? She would never betray me or hurt me like that. We love each other.

Or maybe she's just a fantastic liar.

****

"Do I look okay?" I asked Ash, turning to face him.

Ash looked at me and nodded, "Yeah, you look-", he paused for a second, "Nice."

"Do you think Kaylee will think so?" I asked him.

Ash nodded.

"I can't wait to prove you and Luke wrong when we find out who C really is." I said adjusting my tie. "Speaking of Luke, where is he?"

"I have no clue." Ash answered. "He said he was coming."

We heard footsteps then the door opened. "I'm here." Luke announced.

"Ready?" I asked the both of them. They both nodded.

We walked outside my house to Ash's car. The ride there was quiet. Most of our rides usually are pretty quiet. I looked at my mask that I held onto tightly. At the masquerade everyone was required to wear a mask appropriate for the masquerade.

Before I realized it we were at the masquerade. When we walked in it was weird seeing everyone wearing masks. Calum's mom greeted us.

The weirdest thing was that anybody could be C and we wouldn't even know it.

I looked around the room for Kaylee which was pretty hard to do since 99% of the people here were wearing masks. Just then someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to see Kaylee wearing a beautiful dark blue dress.

"Hey," Kaylee smiled.

"Hey," I smiled back. "I have to leave a few minutes earlier tonight, is that okay? Do you need a ride?"

"Okay, yeah it's fine. I have a ride." She nodded.

****

Throughout the night I kept getting nervous. I just wanted this night to be over. When it was time for us to leave and go get our answers I felt like I was going to throw up. I wanted to say good bye to Kaylee but she disappeared to go talk to some of her friends.

"You don't look too good." Ash said as we walked out to his car.

"I think I'm going to throw up." I replied.

We got in his car. This time the ride wasn't quiet. Instead Ash and Luke had a conversation about who they thought C could be. Of course the mentioned Kaylee as a possible suspect.

"This is it." Ash sighed, parking his car.

I took a deep breath and got out of the car. It was starting to get windy outside.

"Where are we supposed to meet them? The lake is huge. They could be anywhere." I asked looking around.

"I'm not sure," Luke shrugged.

Someone screamed. It was Dr. Warren.

"Dr. Warren?" I yelled back trying to find her.

She screamed again.

I started running in the direction the screams came from. Luke and Ash ran after me. After a few minutes of running and yelling for Dr. Warren, Luke and Ash were gone. They were no longer behind me. I was all alone.

"Ash? Luke? Dr. Warren?" I called out nervously.

C could kill me at any moment now that I am all alone. My heart started beating fast. I turned around and tried to see if I could see anybody at all. When I turned back around I almost had a heart attack. Kaylee was standing there, no longer in her blue dress. She was wearing all black.

"It's you." I said, shocked and out of breath.

"You finally figured it out, Michael." She smiled.

"You killed Calum and Harry." I muttered. "You ruined our lives, Kaylee."

I looked across the lake to see if I could see Luke or Ash. I didn't see them.

"I loved you." I said angrily, hot tears running down my face.

"Where is Dr. Warren?" I asked.

"She should be with Luke and Ashton. She's brainwashed, Michael. They don't know it's me. They don't know where you are." She grinned.

She's going to kill me, isn't she?

"I can't have you going and telling them, can I?" She pulled a gun out from her baggy sweatshirt. She pointed it at my head.

"No," I shook my head. "Luke and Ashton already think C is you."

"You should've believed them." Kaylee says, walking closer to me, keeping the gun pointed. She put her finger over the trigger.

Luke's POV

"Oh my God," I exclaimed running over to Dr. Warren. Ash followed me.

Dr. Warren was passed out on the ground. She was out cold. We tried waking her up but she wouldn't. I called 911.

"Where is Michael?" Ash asked looking around. I shrugged.

"Michael!" Ash yelled. I yelled for Michael too.

We looked down and saw Dr. Warren waking up. She opened her eyes and looked up at us.

"They're here." She mumbled. "C wants to kill Michael."

I looked at Ash and he had the same shocked expression on his face as I did.

Suddenly, we heard a gunshot and a scream. Michael's scream.

We ran as fast as we could to find Michael. As we ran my heart was beating so fast and I was so scared Michael was dead.

Michael's POV

I watched carefully as Kaylee kept her hand on the trigger. She was going to shoot me so if I want to live I need to act fast.

As she pulled the trigger, I pushed her arm making her shoot up at the trees. Then I pushed her to the ground. I tried to grab her gun away from her but she held on to it tightly. She pulled the trigger again. This time she didn't miss by much. She shot my shoulder.

I screamed. It hurt so bad. I heard footsteps getting louder and heard Ash and Luke yelling my name.

"Call 911!" I yelled back.

I held Kaylee's arms down against the ground so she couldn't shoot me again. My vision started getting blurry after that.

I remember Luke grabbing her gun and Ashton holding Kaylee back. I fell to the ground after trying to stand up.

"Oh my God!" Luke gasped when he saw that I was shot in my shoulder.

Ash kept Kaylee held down as Luke sat on the ground next to me. "Stay awake," Luke whispered to me.