#12- The Questions

Start from the beginning

It takes me a little bit to think through my schedule, but eventually I remember that all my classes and swim practice are done by that time.

That works for me. Thank you so much.

Of course

I start my drive back to my apartment doing my best to focus on driving and not the pounding heartbeat in my stomach that makes me want to pull over and throw up. I know that I'll most likely be fine, but for some reason, my anxiety doesn't know that.

I recall everything that happened to me that night, leaving out the part where Cole beat the guy to a pulp, as well as everything after that.

Every once in a while I needed to take a break, the events of that night as painful as ever. Sometimes, I wish that I had been one of his victims that night. I wish that Cole hadn't stepped in and saved me. This attack brought back all the pain that I have been working so hard to deal with. It's been 10 years, but this brings everything back stronger than it was before. I know I should be grateful, but all of this would be a lot easier if he would've just finished what he intended to do.

"I only have one more question for you" he explains.

I nod my head, showing my understanding.

"What were you wearing that night?"

The questions takes me by surprise.

"E-excuse me" I stutter out.

"I was just wondering if you were wearing anything provocative"

"Why does it matter what I was wearing?" I question him, still confused on the relevance to what he said.

"I was just going to suggest that next time you go out that maybe you should wear something that isn't revealing"

Is he suggesting that this is all my fault?

I stand swiftly and make my way towards the door. Bleu and Mack are waiting right outside but I ignore them and walk as quickly as I can towards the exit. I just want to get as far away as possible.

Is this all my fault?

I know I already said it wasn't.

But I was the one that decided to walk home.

The fresh air hits me like a brick wall.

My heart pounds in my ears, blocking any other noise. Everything starts to spin around me. A sudden pain starts in my chest, I clutch my heart using both of my hands. I do my best to diminish the pain, but it only gets stronger.

"Madelyn?"

Someone grips onto my arm doing their best to steady me. I'm unable to see them due to my blurry vision and the world spinning around me.

"Breathe"

I do my best but the air still rakes through me unsteadily.

After a couple minutes I finally calm my breath. And for the first time since I got outside, I can see clearly.

I can see clearly now the spinning has gone.