#1- A Fresh Start

#1
Madelyn's POV

Today is the day. August 26, my 18 birthday. The day I legally become an adult. The day I get to start fresh. Move to a new state, meet new people, and leave behind all the memories in Maine.

After tossing and turning for multiple hours, I look at the clock for the fifth time in the last minute. Deciding it is finally a reasonable time to get up, I reach to my side and feel the soft fur of my service dog, Bruno. I slightly shake his sleeping body, letting him know that it is finally time.

He may not know exactly what moving across the country means to me, but I know that he has felt my building excitement in the days leading up to this one.

I toss my patterned comforter to the side, exposing my freshly shaven legs to the crisp morning air wafting in through my open window. I pad my bare feet towards the family bathroom, glad that I made it there before anyone else. I quickly shower, and by quickly I mean I took about a 20 minute shower, which is pretty quick for me. I wrap one towel under my arms and tuck it into itself, forcing it to stay in place. I allow my soaked hair to drip down my back for my walk back to my bedroom. I thoroughly dry my body before wrapping my dark brown hair in the same towel. I scoop a decent amount of body butter from the container and start to massage it into my slightly dry skin. I rake my mascara wand through my eyelashes, making sure to coat every single one. It isn't my favorite mascara, making my long eyelashes not look as good and they usually do because almost all of my makeup is packed. But I guess it is fine because the only thing I'm doing today is sitting on a plane.

I grabbed the outfit I had set out the night before, allowing my bags to be completely packed this morning. I let the towel fall from my head while I struggle to pull the high waisted leggings over my skin that was still damp from the lotion I had just applied. When the leggings are finally on I pull a green hoodie, that nicely compliments by green eyes, over my sports bra.

No, I don't wear a shirt under my hoodies. I just always feel like they go so far up that they start to choke me. Personally, I am not a fan of being choked.

I quickly brush out my shoulder length hair and scrunch it so that it retains some of my natural waves.

I then slip on my trusty white, well not so white anymore, low top converse.

I do my best to pick up by suitcase and struggle to carry it downstairs.

On my way to the stairs, I toss my towel in a pile of dirty laundry that my mom has been gathering.

The scent of my favorite breakfast drifted throughout the house, making it smell delicious. I glance over at my mom standing in front of the stove, trying not to let my suitcase slip from my fingers, but ultimately failing. The suitcase tumbles to the floor while I watch from the middle of the staircase.

Oops

There goes my 34 dollar highlighter.

"You just woke up and you're already breaking things" my brother Chris says from behind me. Scaring the crap out of me.

Not only am I insanely clumsy, I also get scared very easily.

I know, I'm just a catch.

"What can I say?" I shrug.

"You're not gone yet?" Chris jokes as he passes me on the stairs.

"Don't lie, you're going to miss me" I taunt back as I make my way down the rest of the stairs. By the time I get there, Chris has already set my suitcase back on it's wheels.

"I guess just a little"

I reach up to ruffle his dark brown hair by slightly struggle due to his towering height.