#29- Going Home

#29
Chris's POV

As soon as we get in the car after dropping Madelyn off, I break down in tears. 

"What's wrong?" My mom asks. 

"It's just... I've had to be strong for so long, for her. And I don't have to be strong anymore. Mom," I look over and make eye contact with her through blurry tears, "It was so scary. The night that she jumped, she was dead. She was really dead, I saw how pale she looked. I don't know what I would have done if she had died and never came back."

She reaches over the center console and hugs me, "I know. But she's going to be okay."

I nod, not completely convinced. "I hope so"

Cara's POV

I take a deep breath and walk towards Jess as she stands in the picnic area outside of the library. "Hey" I say, nervously. 

"Hi" She responds, looking up from her book, her smile not quite reaching her eyes. 

"Look, I'm sorry about the other day" I tell her, "It's not that I didn't want to kiss you, it's just that this is all new to me. So I kinda freaked out. I also am really close with my mom and I want her to know that I'm into girls before I start anything.".

She smiles, "I get it. I was a little confused when I came out, just because I had always just been told that I was straight."

"Thank you, for understanding. I really like you though and so I plan on telling my family as soon as possible"

"Well good luck. Hopefully we can hang out soon?"

"Of course" I respond before turning around and walking away. That went a lot better than I expected. 

I pull out my phone as I am walking away and send a quick text to my mom.

Can we have a family dinner tonight? I have some important news.

She responds only seconds later.

Of course, I'm excited to hear what it is :)

***

I take a deep breath to calm my nerves as I stand outside of my parent's house. I walk in and slip my shoes off, "Hello?"

My brothers come down the stairs, "Hey" Carson responds.

He pulls me into a hug. Carter comes from behind him and pulls me into a hug next. "What's up?" he asks. 

"Nothing much. I just wanted to tell you guys something important."

***

We all sit around eating my moms lasagna.

I wait to eat, my hands too shaky to hold the fork and my heart beating too low to be hungry. 

"So" My mom starts, "What was it that you wanted to tell us?"

I guess it's now or never. "I- um, I like girls. Like like girls"

"Like you're gay" Carter asks. 

"Maybe, or bi. I'm not really sure."

"Okay, that's cool" Carter responds. 

"Really?" I ask, surprised. 

My dad stands abruptly and leaves the table, I sigh and look down. 

"Don't worry honey, he'll come around"

"Carson, what do you think?" I ask.

"I just wasn't expecting that, but it doesn't change how I see you'