#19- The Hospital

#19
Cole's POV

We exit the train station, luggage in hand. We take a left out of front door and walk down the sidewalk, following the directions that Cara has pulled up on her phone. We decided to walk to our hotel instead of getting two cabs to travel two miles. 

I watch Maddie as she takes in the tall buildings surrounding us, knowing that she hasn't seen a city very many times.

I feel the back of her hand brush against mine as we walk. I know she's too busy thinking to notice the feeling.

I return my gaze forward and see a light post coming up directly in front of Maddie.

"Maddie" I call out to her, trying to warn her of the hazard above. However, her pace doesn't falter. She continues forward until her brother and I put our arms out to stop her. 

What can I say? Great minds think alike. 

He hits our arms hard and the finally paying attention. 

"Thanks for clotheslining me" She mutters out, clearly distracted.

"Anytime" I respond with a smile. 

I shoot Chris a concerned look and he shoots me one back.

***

We dropped our things off at the hotel and walked the couple miles it took to get to the hospital. Since we're in the center of the city, everything is very close.

We step into the hospital and the strong antiseptic hits my nose. My first thought is my sister. But I push that away. 

Today is about Maddie and her fucked up family. 

Not about me and mine. 

As we approach the front desk I notice Maddie fidgeting with the hair tie on her wrist, something she often does when she's anxious. I place my hand on the small of her back, letting her know that I'm here for her. She barely notices. I can feel her heart pounding throughout her petite body. 

"Good morning Hazel" The woman working the front desk says to us. 

"Good morning" She responded, "We're here to see my dad"

"I'm sorry, but only family is allowed"

"That's okay. This is actually my brother and sister, well half. My dad was married before my mom." Hazel says, sharing a little more than necessary. 

"They are allowed. But I can't allow anyone that isn't family."

"We'll be outside" I say to Maddie.

I remove my hand from the small of her back and watch as we walks through the authorized doors.

"I hate hospitals" I say to Cara.

She nods in agreement, "Me too"

Madelyn's POV

Chris and I stand outside the hospital room door. The only thing separating us and the father that left us is a door.

"Are you ready?" Chris asks me.

"Yeah, just give me a minute." I respond. 

"That's what you said five minutes ago." Hazel responds, standing on the other side of me. 

"Madelyn, if you don't want to do this we can turn around and go home" Chris says. 

I consider it for a moment before Hazel cuts off my train of thoughts.

"No, you can't leave. Without this he will die. He may not have been a father to you, but he is one to me."

She's right.