#40- Perfect

#40
Madelyn's POV

I sit up in my bed, excruciating pain radiating through my abdomen.

I clutch my stomach and groan.

I notice a wet sensation underneath me and use my fingertips to dap at it. Holding them up in the faint moonlight to try and see what is coating them but unable to.

I climb out of bed and quickly turn on the lights, seeing the blood covering my sheets. I look down to my shaking hands and the blood on my fingertips.

The baby...

I leave my room and walk right out our front door. I pound a couple times on Cole's door with my non bloody hand. I look down and see the blood covering my inner thighs.

I hear the door open and look up to Cole. His eyes rake over my body, more than likely taking in the blood.

"Madelyn, what's wrong?" Cole asks frantically, as he stands in front of me half naked, "Do you need to go to the hospital?"

I nod, answering his second question, "Th-the baby. We're losing the baby."

"Do you want to clean up before we go?" He asks.

"Uh- sure", I leave him before he can respond and return to my apartment. I wash as much blood as possible off of my hands and legs before changing out my underwear and shorts, shakily sticking a pad to the inside of my underwear.

I join Cole right outside my apartment, he holds his keys in his hand, now fully dressed.

The ride to the hospital is silent as I keep my gaze out of the side window.

At one point Cole reaches over and takes my hand. I allow him to for a brief moment, savoring the warmth, before I pull away.

The pain continues, only slightly less intense. Very very slightly.

I change how I'm sitting and lean forward, holding my head in my still shaking hands. I involuntarily groan in pain. I take a couple deep breaths, trying to steady myself.

***

"Alright, we are just going to have a quick look at your baby" the ultrasound person tells me, "this might be a little cold".

They squeeze the gel onto my stomach, but I barely notice the coldness of it.

They then place the wand on my lower abdomen and move it around, but nothing shows up on the screen. The expression on the persons face changes, but they try to mask it with a smile.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I'm sorry but I actually can't give you any information, I will go and get the doctor for you"

"Wait" I stop them, "The guy that came in with me, can you send him back here?"

"Sure", they fake smile at me before leaving the room.

I clasp my hands and rest them over my chest, feeling my heart hammer.

The ultrasound technician rejoins the room with Cole, the doctor, and what I'm assuming is a nurse. The doctor goes to the ultrasound machine while Cole stands by my head on the other side.

The doctor does the same as the ultrasound technician and moves the wand around my lower abdomen. The screen shows up blank once again.

"How far along did you say you were?" She asks.

"Roughly 14 weeks"

"Alright. I'm really sorry, but you most likely had a miscarriage and I am not seeing anything with the ultrasound so let's do a pelvic exam."