#12- The Questions

#12
Madelyn's POV

Bleu and Mack lead me into the station. While we walk towards the back I look around. To the right there are a bunch of pictures lined up, with 'Fallen Heros' in writing above. Assuming the pictures are of police officers that have died, I look for Cole's dad. He just happens to be the first one.

'Officer Hart' it reads. I briefly take in his looks due to the fact that we're still walking.

He looks just like Cole. Or I guess Cole looks just like him. His green eyes striking yet soft. And his dark brown hair, highlighted with shades of caramel and gray. He wears a straight face with a slight smirk. The same smirk that Cole always wears. Dimples piercing his aged cheeks. Divots lining his forehead and smile from age. The same divots leading from the outer corner of his eyes out, from years of smiling. He looks happy even without smiling.

We round a corner and come to a glass door lined with windows, their shades mostly closed. A man stands in front of the door, his face dusted with white stubble and his black short hair interlaced with white. He wore a suit, making himself more professional.

"Hi, I'm SSA Denver with the FBI. I'm going to be taking your statement" he extends his hand towards me.

I grasp it firmly and shake it, offering him a fake smile, not quite being capable of being happy, "Madelyn".

After he releases my hand he opens the door.  Gesturing me in, I look back at Bleu and Mack, uncomfortable going into a room with a man alone.

Or any man that I don't know for that matter.

Yes I understand that women sexually assault too. But I wasn't attacked by a woman.

Every time I'm anywhere I always think I see him.

At school

Going grocery shopping.

Getting gas.

I turn off the ignition and take a deep breath before stepping out of my car. Grasping my debit card in my right hand and my phone in my left.

I slide my card in and out of the slot, not quite looking at it. The pump asks me to enter my pin. I type it in quickly, accidentally typing it in wrong and having to do it again.

As soon as the gas starts pumping into my car, another car pulls up to the pump next to me. I watch carefully, yet never see his face. The only thing I notice is his blonde hair matching the hair of him.

My heart beat quickens with correlation to my breath. I shakily, yet quickly, walk to the drivers side and slide in. Locking the doors behind me. The noise causes the boy to turn and look at me.

It's not him.

I let out a long shaky breath before getting out of the car and making my way back to the pump to finish with my gas, my heart not quite back to normal yet.

When I was completely finished with getting gas I slid back into the drivers seat and buckled my seat belt.

It's bad enough that I almost saw him tonight. I don't need to get into a car accident and die too.

I pulled my phone out and started texting the number that Karie had given me a while ago.

Hi, it's Madelyn. I was wondering when we could set up an appointment.

It takes her a couple minutes to respond. But I wait.

How about Monday at 4:00?