#27- Water Under The Bridge

#27
Chris's POV

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I ask Cole quietly, not trying to bring attention to us in the crowded courtroom. My blood boils as I look at him. 

"Cara convinced me to come"

"Why?" I turn my anger towards her. 

"Because everything that happened is a big misunderstanding and Madelyn needs to know" She explains. 

"She needs to know in the middle of a courtroom while it's being decided whether her abuser is set free? That's the best place to tell her? You couldn't wait until she gets back to Washington or until she literally walks out of this room. Today was a huge and emotionally draining day for her, and here you guys are, making it worse than it has to be. Just... leave her the hell alone. She doesn't need this drama" I bring my attention back to Cole, "and she sure the hell doesn't need you. So please just go"

I turn to walk away from them, my heart pounding in my chest, and immediately and join my family as they talk with our team.

"Where did Madelyn go?" my mom asks. 

"She left. I'm sure just needs time to be alone and process... everything" I tell her, my heart rate starting to go back to normal. 

She nods, understanding. She always been super understanding, the best parent someone could ask for. 

"Okay, we should probably head home" she tells me. "Thank you all so much for everything". She motions to our team that represented Madelyn and I today. 

"Yes, thank you so much." I add. 

They all respond with different variations of 'no problem' or  'you're welcome'.

"Of course" our lawyer says, "make sure you guys are here tomorrow at one o'clock, that's when they will read the decision"

"Alright, thanks." my mom responds, slightly waving to them before leaving the building with Hazel and I.

Cara's POV

"I don't know why I came. She couldn't even look at me. I mean I don't blame her, I wouldn't be able to look at me either." Cole starts to ramble. 

"It's fine. Today was just emotionally draining for her. I'm sure she'll forgive you when she's back to feeling herself. Just give her some time." I tell him, while we sit in the back of a taxi on the way to the airport. 

"I don't know" He says, "Maybe I should give up. I've only ever brought negative things to her life and that's not what I want. So maybe it's time to give up on what I want."

"No-" is all I get out before my phone dings, I glance at it and see that it's from Madelyn.

Life is not fair at all

The text takes me by surprise. I mean it's true, but why would she just randomly text me that. 

"Who is it?" Cole asks, worry prevalent in his voice. 

I mean, he's dead and she might get out

This is all too much

"Cara"

"It's Madelyn, but it doesn't really make sense." I show him the messages.

"Call her" He says. 

I call her but it goes to voicemail. I call her once more and she picks up but doesn't say anything. 

"Hello, Madelyn?"

"Could you please just tell Chris, Hazel, and my mom that I love them and I'm sorry?" Her voice sounds tired, as if she's been crying for a while.