#37- Suffocating

#37
Madelyn's POV

Cole holds his hand on my lower back, as we walk forward in the entrance line.

We come up a booth, "You can scan your school ID's right there and then go on in" the lady tells us motioning towards the scanner sitting on the desk in front of her.

Cole takes out his wallet, pulling both his ID and mine from it. He quickly slides both of them before putting them back into his wallet, holding onto mine for the night because I have no where to put it.

"M'lady?" he extends his arm towards me, his hand nearly touching his own side.

I grab ahold of his very muscular upper arm.

He literally spends all of his time playing soccer, how is his arm this muscular?

We enter the building and wait by the entrance for Jess and Cara, even though they were nearly right behind us.

"Where to first?" I ask Cara and Jess as they approach.

"Pictures?" Jess suggests.

"Sure" Cole responds.

We all make our way towards the photo booths, Cole and I's arms still linked. Causing my heart to pound in my chest.

We all slide into the tiny booth, the pictures being paid for my the school and therefore free for us. I sit on Cole's lap and Jess sits are Cara's.

Cole slides his hands from my waist to my hips, sending goosebumps over my entire body.

The first picture is taken before we all even get completely situated.

The count down begins on the screen, giving us five seconds.

"Everyone smile" Jess says, we all smile as the screen flashes.

"Weird faces" I tell everyone. I cross my eyes and stick my tongue out, not paying attention to what everyone else does.

"What do we do next?" I ask.

No one says anything until there is two seconds left on the screen, "Kiss" Cole says.

I grab Cole's face with one hand and place my lips on his until the screen flashes. I smile and peck his lips once more before we get out of the booth.

Cara and Jess gush over how cute the photo strip is on our way to the dance floor.

As soon as we reach the dance floor the song changes to I Guess I'm In Love by Clinton Kane. Cole extends his hand towards me. "May I have this dance?", he asks in a British accent.

I raise my eyebrows at him, "That was literally the worst British accent I've ever heard" I tell him.

"Is that a 'no'?" he asks.

"Of course not" I respond, with a better British accent, taking his hand.

We begin to sway to the music.

And why do I get so nervous when I look into your eyes?

Butterflies can't stop me fallin' for you

"My British accent wasn't that bad" He tells me.

"Of believe me, it was"

Cole begins to say a bunch of random words trying to prove his accent isn't awful but completely failing.

***

After the slow song, there were many upbeat songs. We all danced in a circle, Adam and some of Cole's soccer friends joining us.

At one point I put my butt to Cole's crotch and began to grind on him, after a couple seconds he grabs my hips, halting them. He quickly spins my body and then pulls it close to him, bringing us face to face.

He takes a deep breath as if he's composing himself, "Could you not? Unless you're looking to get out of here soon." he smirks as if him suggesting it means that I'm going to agree.

I wrap my arms around his neck and quickly peck his lips, although I'm really not a fan of PDA. "Later".

After I pull away he brings his lips to my ear, "I'm going to use the bathroom, I'll be back in a bit".

"Okay" I respond, going back to dancing with our friends, annoyed with myself for deciding to wear heels tonight.

Multiple songs pass and Cole still doesn't return from the bathroom.

Maybe he got lost or fell in.

A slow song comes on and everyone begins to pair up. I leave my friends and decide to go looking for Cole.

I push through the sweaty bodies and towards the bathrooms. The bathrooms are all individual and all empty. My hearts starts to beat a little faster as I begin to slightly panic. I notice an exit door near the bathrooms and decide to leave the building to get some air. I push open the door and the cool air rushes into my lung. A noise breaks me out of my trance and I turn to my right, causing my heart to completely drop.

"Oh my god!" slips from my lips at the sight in front of me.

Two heads whip in my direction, looking like deer caught in headlights. My eyes rake over Cole's half naked body covered in lipstick prints. My eyes then wander to the girl he has pushed against the building. And of course it's fucking Lucy. Her legs straddle Cole's torso, her dress only half on her body, the upper part of her dress pooling at her waist exposing her bra. She makes no attempt to move, instead, just looks at me.

I turn as quickly as possible and walk as fast, as my heels will allow, back to Cara.

"Can we go?" I ask her and Jess frantically.

"Madelyn, what's wrong?" Jess asks me.

"It's Cole" I respond, my eyes immediately starting to pool with tears, "Him and Lucy were hooking up outside- can we please just leave right now?"

Both girls look at me shocked but don't pry.

We quickly walk back towards where we came in, just as we get outside I hear someone call my name from behind.

"Madelyn, please hear me out"

"Why should I?" I whip around, Cara and Jess both standing at my sides in a protective manner, as tears begin to run down my cheeks.

"Beac- because I love you"

"You really showed me how much you love me by shoving your tongue down another girl's throat. A girl you promised would not come between you and I. I guess sometimes love just isn't enough. So please just leave me the fuck alone.", I run to the nearest tree and hunch over, emptying my stomach onto the ground next to it, when I'm finished I spit and turn back towards Cara and Jess. We then begin to walk in the direction of my apartment. I get frustrated with not being able to walk fast enough after a couple minutes, I unstrap my heels and pick them up.

Cara, Jess, and I walk to the apartment, seeing as Cole was our ride to the dance. The sky booms and then out of no where it begins to pour, yet somehow I barely notice.

***

We walk into our apartment and I toss my shoes aside.

The extent of what just happened dawns on me and I begin to hyperventilate, the tears now flooding down my face, mixing with the rain water. I begin to feel trapped and like I'm suffocating in my dress, "I can't breathe" I whisper, clutching my chest.

Cara comes over and begins to unlace the dress.

"Cut it off. Cut it off." I tell her, continuing to hold my chest. Jess quickly goes to the kitchen and returns with scissors. Cara cuts the laces on the back of the dress and it pools at me feet.

The sobs begin to violently rake over my entire body, my knees going weak. Cara wraps her arms around me and holds me tight, but the sobs continue with the same intensity.