Log. 50: Friends and Foes

Start from the beginning

"My friend?" I looked up to her, creasing my brows as I tried to think of someone who might have been there while I was sleeping. Hoseok had been absent as he was busy with a case at work while Yoongi was busy on his own projects to deal with. Which only left one other person. "Oh, was Jimin here?"

"Yes, Jimin. That's his name," Kara told me while sitting down next to the bed, grabbing the basket of tangerines back onto her lap to finish what she was doing. "He came by just when I got here and passed me these fresh, sweet looking tangerines. Told me that he would usually peel them for you whenever he is here to watch over you while you are sleeping."

"Oh—"

My cheeks started heating up as if I was a teenage girl getting caught having her first boy crush. Or her first boyfriend. Kara must have caught on to it as she lifted her eyebrows.

"Someone special?"

I looked down, smiling to my lap. "Sort of," I said. Then I remembered back when I was a teenage girl, when Kara used to sit in the dining room with my mother, sipping tea while they would gossip around on the neighbours and their old high school friends. And I remembered how Kara was the one to tease me when I got home with a boy the first time.

"We're sort of seeing each other now," I finally told her. Though judging from the way she was smiling, she could probably tell it was the case already.

Leaning forward, she passed me a plate of peeled tangerines for me to eat and asked me, "Tell me about him."

And I did.

The next thing I knew, we began talking so normally and easily like we used to so many years ago. Starting from Jimin and how our relationship had grown, the funny stories I have had since I got into the hospital, and reminisced a few memories of my teenage years—skipping all the bad memories and the horrible parts of our past—all while we ate the tangerines Jimin had left behind and I had even managed to eat some soft cookies that Kara had bought for me.

Everything felt so comfortable and I felt so in peace. Everything just felt so right. And suddenly, all the painful memories between us—the fights, the resentment, and the disappointment I felt—seemed like they had never existed.

"What is it?" Kara asked me when she heard me chuckling to myself. Her smile was warm and her eyes were bright as if the sound slipping out of my lips were the most wonderful thing she had ever heard.

"Nothing, it's just—" I chuckled some more, shaking my head for thinking about this. "It's just that I've been lonely for so long and now suddenly—suddenly, everyone keeps coming back into my life. I've been getting the most random visits from the people that I had least expected. It's just surprising, and funny, to think about. That's all."

"People come and go from our lives. It doesn't mean that it would be impossible to reconnect. Even if it takes years," she reached out to grab my hand. "Just like us."

Her eyes grew misty yet again as she pulled back. "And it's nothing wrong to let people back in once you are ready. No matter how well we are when we are alone, we still need people on our side. People to accompany us as we walk on our path and to lead us to where we need to go."

I chose not to say anything, though I could hear Jimin's words echoing inside my head.

"It goes to show that no matter how much you've pushed people away, at least some of them would find their way back to you."