12. Nothing Matters (Pt.2)

Julian

       "You know the answer to number five" I whispered to some random girl next to me

       "You know the answer to number five" I whispered to some random girl next to me. Scoffing, she rolled her eyes, turning away and covering her paper. "The answers probably wrong anyway" I retorted, sticking my tongue out. The quiz is only ten questions and more than three were probably wrong. I stared at the equation, thinking the answer would magically appear out of thin air.

      Circling answer choice c, I went back to go over the other answers. Second guessing myself, I changed a few of them, feelings extra confident. "Five more minutes" the teacher announced, focusing her attention back on the computer. Most of the class has turned in their quiz right now, it's only me and another kid left.

        I sat there as the second to last kid, sat his quiz on her desk full of other assignments. "It's time" the teacher's eyes fell directly on me, I huffed forcing myself from my seat. Doing a silent prayer, I put the sheet of paper on the desk.

     "You think you did good" Jeremy asked and I nodded, shrugging my shoulders. "That quiz was dumb easy" I lied as he nodded in agreement.

   "Why'd it take you so long to finish" he questioned in curiosity.

   "I had to check over it and didn't feel like getting up to turn it in" I made up an excuse. He looked at me knowing I was spitting bullshit but just laughed it off.

     The bell rings and everyone gathers their belongings. "I can't wait to warm up that lunchable bro" my mouth watered just thinking about it. I hadn't had anything to eat besides that small chicken biscuit, and that didn't hold me at all. To hold me over, I've been chewing on the same piece of gum for almost an hour.

   "Pizza or nacho" he asked as we made our way towards the door. Hearing someone clear their throat, I turned around. My pre-calculus teacher stood with her arms crossed. "We need to have a conversation" Ms. Johnson said hinting for Jeremy to leave the room. He soon took the hint, leaving me and my teacher alone.

"I wanna discuss your grade because you haven't been doing so well" she admitted, in a unhappy tone.

"I have a ninety something in this class" I said, looking at her in confusion. "My scores have been good", I continued to defend myself as if I'm the one grading the papers. She sat there letting me talk, before saying her piece.

"You did" she emphasized. "At the beginning, but you've been slacking" she pointed out, sitting back in her office chair. "I haven't put in grades yet but once I do, you won't be playing football for a minute" Ms. Johnson said in concern.

"Maybe this little five seconds of fame have gotten to your head but you've been acting different. Coming to class late, being all loud in the halls, and even have the nerve to come in here under the influence" , my eyes widened in shock at the ending. From time to time, I smoked in the morning, nothing special. My eyes would be a little red but I usually blamed it on allergies. "If this behavior doesn't change, your father and coach will be informed" she threatened, snapping her fingers to dismiss me.