8. Progress

Natalie

            Munching on some chocolate covered pretzels, I practiced the routine for this week's game

            Munching on some chocolate covered pretzels, I practiced the routine for this week's game. Our coach left a little early due to having to take care of her children, so we were basically on our own. Checking the time, the captain stopped the music, rushing to put on her sweatpants. "Okay y'all one more time from the top and were out"

    I watched her complete the dance , counting the eight counts in my head. The team soon followed, copying Coco's movements. She glared in the mirror, watching our moves smoothly through the reflection.

     "Y'all killing it, we finna be some bad bitches during half time y'all. I can't wait"  Coco beamed, jumping up and down.

        The team cheered in unison, happy we can all go home. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I took off my tank top, allowing my Victoria Secret sports bra to show. Slipping on the jogging pants, I was burning up but I didn't need the school pervs gawking over a small piece of a butt cheek peeking out.

     "Don't forget y'all ponytails need to be at least twenty-eight inches. Do y'all homework and get some rest" Coco said walking out the dance room, with her gym bag.

        Taking the back entrance out the school, I instantly faced the parking lot. Looking around, I peeped Julian outside blasting music in his car. Taking in his appearance, he facial expression was neutral expression. There seemed to be a natural glow coming from him or maybe it was the sun. Peering at him a little longer, I wrecked my brain trying to figure out what females saw him.

Can you say not cute?

    Maybe it's the social status

          "Take a picture it'll last longer" Julian said smartly, smirking.

     Waving him off, I scoffed. "Don't flatter yourself, I was admiring that plant over there" I lied earning a sarcastic 'okay' from him.

     Laughing he looked the other way, at the bush of dead leaves , almost bare. "Yea because that bald ass bush is holding someone's attention. Nice save" he gestured from me to step closer to the car. "I think it's time for another session, you down" he asked as he unlocked the door in the process.

       Looking around, I opened the door, sliding in the passenger seat. He turned on the car, pulling out the empty parking lot. Pulling out my phone, I texted Nathan about my whereabouts, just in case he's around one his friends. I was serious when I agreed to be one hundred percent discreet about this whole thing. "Where are we going" I asked seeing him go in another direction besides my house.

    "We finna get something to eat and seat in the parking lot. I'm hungry and my momma home, I don't need her bombarding with questions."

    I nodded noticing how calm he was but clenched his jaws at the mention of his mother.  Not bothering to bring it up, I shrugged it off, not wanting to pry into his business. I wasn't a fan of people asking me a bunch of questions, so I disregarded it. "Can you go to Burger King or something" I asked feeling the need for a ten piece nugget and a slushee.

     Julian looked over at me surprised. "You eating at Burger King" he kept looking over at me in shock. "No offense but you come off as the boujie type that would never touch that"

      Leaning back into the seat, I ignored the ignorance. "Having a level of class is different from being boujie." I said in a irritated manner. It really ruffled my feathers when people told me that because it wasn't like I was standoffish towards the slightest things. I never gave off the stuck up vibe but I wasn't friendly with everyone either. "Did you do your assignment"

       Julian nodded, pulling into the drive thru , pulling up to the window. "Whatcha want, I'm paying so don't tell me otherwise"

     Instead of arguing back, I nodded. "I want a ten piece nugget, medium fries, and a orange Fanta slushee." I said with a big smile on my face. I haven't eaten a real meal at all today and I had every intention on tearing it up. "Is that too much for you Mr. Kingston"

     "Don't try me like a nigga broke or sum shit. Don't know what niggas you be wit"

     After ordering our meals, we were now in the car eating in the Burger King parking lot. I pulled my food out the bag, licking my lips at the smell. Maybe I was hungry or I haven't had this in a long time but the food was hitting a different kind of way. "I'm surprised you didn't argue with me paying like Laura does"

     I shrugged. "I make my own cash but if you trynna save change in my pocket, who am I to deny you that right" I joked half , smiling at his reaction.

     "I fuck with the mindset. Depending on my grade on this paper, you gone treat me out to dinner or sum shit"

       Laughing, the reaction on my face is priceless. "We'll see. Have you been reading more lately instead of wasting time doing nothing"

       I observed that Julian spent a lot of time on his phone, scrolling through Instagram. I gave him strict instructions on time management, spend some time expanding vocabulary , and extra time studying, or finishing assignments. Extra events that aren't as important can come into play later in the day.  "Yea I've been following the list that you've sent me. The Notebook is slick fye and even the book To All The Boys I've loved Before"

     I laughed at how serious he seemed to be. "I'm glad you like it. We can go to the library and get some more. Have you gotten a good look on the direction your paper is going in"

    He meet my gaze, in a confused expression. "I'm thinking of opening up more about myself, what inspires me to play football, and what keeps me going. Imma be honest, I really don't need help, I was just being lazy as hell." He admitted , something I already knew but instead of saying anything we just kept the comfortable silence. "Instead of a tutor, you feel like more of a mentor"

"I wanna keep these sessions going. The past few weeks have been nothing but progress. That's real shit" he paused analyzing my expression. "If that's okay with you"

I munched on the last nugget, chewing slowly. "That's fine"