13. You've been Distant

Julian

         Neenan and I continued down the hallway barely, making it through the day

Neenan and I continued down the hallway barely, making it through the day. We didn't get much sleep last night because our parents were arguing once again. Maybe them getting a divorce soon would be a great decision for both parties. The first two class periods were straight hell , I couldn't keep my eyes open. My math teacher is boring so imagine listening a soft voice for a hour and a half, struggling to keep your eyes open.

Opening my locker, I was faced with a ice cold fruit punch Gatorade that looked delicious at the moment. Taking out my text book, I got my notes out for audio and tech , on B-days the classes were usually more smoother than A-days. Passing by others, my eyes landed on Natalie who had in her earphones, chilling by her locker, she seemed in no rush for her next class period.

The hallway was almost empty, except for some bystanders that happened to be standing there. Tapping her on the shoulder, she turned around , a smile gracing her face. "What's good, we haven't talked in past week or two"

Natalie gave me a straight face, knowing that everything I just said was bullshit. Turning back to her locker in annoyance, her happy attitude had disappeared. "We have spoken, we text like four times last week"

      From the tone of her voice, it was evident that this subject wasn't her cup of tea at the moment but I didn't give a fuck. "I'm talking a real conversation, instead of me asking for help or notes" I pointed out getting comfortable against pushing my hand against her locker, closing it in her face. Grabbing her chin, I turned her face towards me, her gaze instantly met mine her innocent eyes. "You've been real distant lately"

     "I've just been busy that's all" she responded her voice going higher as she lied more.

     "You a busy lie because I've seen you posted on Instagram in your bed most of the time if your not at practice"

      She put her hand against her chest, moving her head back. "Better be watching my every move , sir"

       We shared a laugh as she held her books closer to her chest. Pushing off the locker, she gave me a small smile before walking towards her next class. "I'm already late for class, text or call me later"

      "Fuck that. I wanna see you, what time you get out of practice" I responded , waving off her last comment. I don't know why I was persistent on wanna to spend so much time with her. "Any plans after practice"

"Homework. If we're not doing that, then I can't go. Sorry kid" she finished walking off, flicking the middle finger in the air. Natalie seemed like a rebel kid but she was really a secret nerd at the end of the day. Everyone assumed because she partied and vaped that she couldn't do a simple math problem. Hanging out with her showed me a lot of better study habits and methods to use for preparing for an exam.

      I rehearsed some excuses in my head to keep this from reporting back to my coach. Smirking, I dug in my binder remembering the pass I had from my last class. Opening the door, my classmates watched me slapped the pass on her desk. She squinted her eyes at me for a split second , trying to notice any dishonestly in my behavior. In the past I was usually a dead giveaway but my lying when it came to school purposes has gotten better over the years.

Coach: You running six extra laps today, I saw you on those camera dumbass

     My mood instantly shifted, wanting to escape school after it ended but I knew that was a stretch. If I left after school the laps would only pile up more tomorrow and I wasn't trynna die early in that hot ass sun.

       Sitting next to Jeremy, I sat down my books, my eyes doing the normal scan around the classroom. A unfamiliar body caught my eye and it seemed to be Ronnie from the side angle. Tapping Jeremy's shoulder , I pointed in her direction, giving him a confused look. "When did she end up in here"

      He shrugged. "She just came in her today, she got her schedule change. Apparently she was in the 'wrong classes'. Whatever type of bullshit excuse she made up"

    I did a light chuckle mimicking his quotation marks. "Why the quotation marks"

    Giving me a straight face, he shifted in his chair. "My nigga we've been in for like two going on three months and now all the sudden she's in this class"

I leaned back into my chair, slouching a bit. The teacher spent the first few minutes of class giving a mini pep talk. We then started the warm- up , refreshing our brains on the new information we learned last week. Twenty minutes later the lunch bell had sounded off, sending the first hall down to the cafeteria.

"Fuck y'all talm about, I brought me a subway sandwich" Jermey randomly yelled out to the class. "Hmmm. YALL FINNA BE EATINF THAT NASTY ASS SCHOOL, YALL TOOO LAME"

Brent joined us in the middle of the hallway on the journey to lunch. "Like your ass wasn't tearing up that stale meatloaf yesterday, sit the fuck down" he busted Jeremy's earning a laugh from our peers in the hallway.

      Jermey continued down the hallway, flashing his sandwich to the rest of the people. He sat at the table with Aubrey and her friends, we naturally joined them. Sitting at their table happened to be full of laughter and jokes about their day. Ronnie sat next to me, pestering me about when our date would be. I found it cute that ole' girl was interested in me but after awhile it came off very desperate or more so thirsty. 

     "Would this weekend be okay" she asked. "Whatever works best for you"

I sighed in defeat, giving in. "How about Saturday, send me your address and we can go out to dinner sometime"

Ronnie eagerly nodded, already sending me her information. She turned towards Natalie with a wide smile, clasping her hands together. She spilled the beans loud enough for everyone at the table to hear. "We're going on a date" she chanted spinning around with Natalie who looked like she could care less.

In return Natalie gave her an awkward smile and as soon as she turned away, that smile dropped. Letting go of Ronnie's hand, she got her stuff, walking out the cafeteria. "I'll see y'all later"