10. Morning Drama

Natalie

        Saturday morning had rolled around and the smell of breakfast filled my nose, more like burnt toast

Saturday morning had rolled around and the smell of breakfast filled my nose, more like burnt toast. Peaking downstairs over the banister, mother stood in a bonnet and robe, flipping over some eggs. The counter was a spread of different breakfast food, pancakes, waffles, bacon, and some fruit on the side.

I moved around freely in my oversized t-shirt, doing a little dance. This morning I was in a good mood and it warmed my heart that Julian did excellent on his essay. Over the small amount of spending time together a friendship was forming or maybe it's already formed.

Walking downstairs, I decided to make my presence known. Momma turned around, giving me a small smile. Her mood seemed brighter than usual meaning a man must've made her feel special for a few hours, during the night per-say. "Good morning" she greeted gesturing towards the big breakfast on the counter. "Get you some"

    "Good morning" I awkwardly responding, grabbing a paper plate. Toying with the substance in my hand, I didn't know where to start. Using a fork, I picked up the dis-formed pancake, seeing the dark spots all around. Putting it back down, I searched for ones that didn't seem to be left in a grill over night.

    Hearing footsteps, Nathan came downstairs joining the search of un-burnt food. "Hey ma" he greeted , picking up a paper plate. "Grandma didn't do a good job of teaching you how to cook when you were younger" he mumbled piling up a bunch of fruit on his plate.

      Hitting him upside the head, I then moved to the dining room table. Seeing a extra cup of orange juice on the table, I stared at it in confusion but decided against asking questions.

    "Ma who you got up in here today, my nigga" Nathan asked gesturing towards the cup. Momma gave him a stale expression, holding back the urge to roll her eyes. "You always doing some hoe shit, no cap"

   Her eyes widened. "Boy I know you not- hey baby" her tone quickly changed and a smile graced her face. A familiar man cruised downstairs looking fresh out the bed. His dreads were pulled up in a messy bun , a chain hung low from his neck. The sun hitting it made it look green in some lighting but no one was gonna speak on it. A smirk played lightly on his face as he pulled up his sagging sweatpants. "Y'all say hey to Luke"

      Instead of verbally saying something , I gave a dry wave. Nathan did a simple head nod, turning back to his plate of strawberries and pineapples.

        Minutes later, the four of us sat at the table in minimum silence. Momma and Luke were having a conversation, while we were on mute to the whole time. She was low key trying to pressure us into keeping conversation going but I was not interested in getting to know him at all. Luke was the exact replica of any other bum walking the streets flashing fake brands to stay relevant and when he actually did get some money it isn't the legal way.

         Their conversation soon died down and they looked at us. "I hear you play basketball"

     Nathan looked around the room, pointing at himself. "First of all, I play football get the shit right. Second don't feel the need to try to play step- dad because it ain't happening"

      Luke's eyes widened in surprised but he quickly converted it up with a straight face. He stood up and Nathan gladly followed the same structure. "You got some balls talking to me like that lil nigga. Don't get yo head knocked off"

      My brother chuckled in annoyance, leaning on his arms that were on the table. Licking his lips, he cleared his throat, nice and clear. "I don't have respect for grown ass men that can't even afford a real chain" , before Luke could respond, he walked off and I gladly followed behind him not wanting to be left alone.

       Going back upstairs, we both went into my room and he plopped down on the gray themed sheets. Taking a seat on the black bean bag in the corner, we were directly in front of each other. Nathan took a deep breath and that alone told me he was in the mood to rant, something we always did, it was therapeutic believe it or not. "She never fails to amaze me with the bullshit bro. You know how we feel about that nigga and still have he audacity to bring him up in the house. Complete bullshit, just last week there was another dude I caught sneaking out the house."

     I nodded, gesturing for him to keep going. Usually I would chime in but I'm over the whole situation. Awhile ago, I grew accustomed to that fact that we weren't mom's main priority and I have to live with that. "Imma call grandma and ask can we stay with her for a few weeks because I can't keep doing this"

JuJu💕: When you taking me out? 👀

BestieRon🥰: Sis I just got word that Julian and Laura broke up bitch! ITS TIME FOR ME TO GET MY MANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Aubrey🤤: Call me

Brent💛: Friend! Give me some attention.

       I responded back to all in a rush but still stuck on Julian's text.

NatBat💕:Can I take you to lunch or is it to early for you?

     Going over to my closest, I decided on ripped jeans and the casual black champion shirt. Sitting on the end of the bed, I took off my bonnet, letting my hair fly wildly, turning towards Nathan. "What style should I wear, something simple please"

    "Do you one of them down ponytails shits" he tilted his head to the side and I stared back in confusion. "You mean a slick back ponytail" I corrected , hoping that's what he meant to say.

    "One of those" he confirmed, doing a thumbs up. "You edges be all laid out, you fye"

   "Thanks bro" I said putting some eco styling gel to lay down the flying hair.

    "Where you going anyways" he asked sitting straight on the bed.

     Taking a few seconds to reply, I took out the wavy bundles, moving it from side to side in my hands. "Stiff where" I said out the random, laughing to myself. "I'm sorry but I'm going out with Julian today. To congratulate him on doing well, nothing to special"

      Nathan eyes me for a couple of seconds, squinting. "Hmmm. You like him or something"

    I widened my eyes , putting a hand over my chest. "Boy you reaching at this point, don't nobody like that boy. You need to be worried about Rebecca hoe ass." I countered wrapping the hair around the ponytail holder.

•••
Any thoughts on their mother?

Luke?

Are you rooting for Ronnie and Julian..