4. Regular Days (Pt. 2)

Natalie

       The first few weeks of school has been a breath of fresh air

       The first few weeks of school has been a breath of fresh air. That's usually what happens during the first month anyway. The atmosphere is filled with hot air, sweaty bodies cooped up in one room. I used the ends of my shirt to wipe the continuous drops of sweat from my face. Standing with my hands on my hips, I huffed in exhaustion. Bending down to drink another sip of my water, I immediately jugged down the whole bottom.

      Our coach stood looking disgusted at us being the tired. We've been practicing nonstop since the bell rung for school to be over. Practice ended at six o'clock and I literally wouldn't stop breaking my neck to look at the clock.  "You ain't leaving the room until y'all do that shit right" she demanded, clapping her hands violently. "Call the damn stand" she shouted to the captain as she flinched and instantly for the best of the music.

    We did the field routine from start to finish. The dance is three minutes long, doing the stunts and moves, full out back to back is really a workout. The band was playing ego by Beyoncé at the game coming this Friday. Im excited because it's the first game of the season and our uniforms are amazing. It fits my body like a glove since my figure is starting for form.

      "Y'all can get the hell out my room now, love y'all be safe." coach sternly said, blowing us a kiss. "That was better, if y'all fuck up tomorrow you running laps around the gym" she informed, turning the lights off in the room, gathering her stuff. Tossing the keys to Aqua, the captain, she simply walked out.

   "Make sure you guys gather all your belongings and please do everything right" Aqua practically begged, zipping up her back pack and picking up her small bag. "I shouldn't be sweating this bad".

    "I'm saying" one of the freshmen chimed in, pouring ice cold water on her face. "Bye y'all" I told them and they all returned it. I sat outside waiting by the front double doors for Nathan. We got out from practice around the same time frame, so we just wait by the door for one another. I would sit in the car but he's always carrying the keys. I went on the door dash app, ordering my brother and I a chicken platter meal.

    Momma and Luke were at work so we had no choice but to cook for ourselves. After nearly exercising for almost three hours, cooking wasn't an option. In the mornings, I prepared a simple healthy breakfast and packed small fruit bags for the remainder of the day. It got me through the school day but after practice, I needed a big meal to keep me going.

  "I can smell you from all the way back here" Nathan slid a finger under his nose, scrunching his face. "You stink".

    I pointed to me, giving him a side-eye. "You smell fresh out the dumpster, darling" I retorted surprised he even bothered coming for me in such a way. "By the way, I ordered us some Zaxbys". I informed him as he clapped his hands.

    We walked down the sidewalk on the way to the spacious parking lot. The security guard stood near the cars, making sure no one suspicious came by. Seeing us, he simply nodded and I waved in response. It creeped me out because since I've been here, he hasn't spoken a word to anyone. If someone ask him a question or speaks, he'll nod or shake his head.

    "I'm gonna get him to talk one day" I thought aloud as Nathan looked at me concern. "I really worry about your future" he said, pretending to be sad, unlocking the door.

     "It doesn't creep you out that he doesn't say anything, he's like the Statue of Liberty" I compared and we busted out laughing. "Imma just leave it alone". I said seeing that he wasn't comprehending anything.

   "I get it but your logic just sounds retarded." He shrugged his shoulders, patting my head like a dog. I pushed his arm away from be, bucking at him. "Who's the girl you've been hanging out with" he questioned referring to Nadia. She's been really helpful during this process of finding my classes, electives, the way to practice. We click really well and o see a friendship blooming in the future.

"Her name is Nadia" I answered, cutting a eye at him. He didn't ask anything about my friends unless he found them attractive. Other than that, he acted like the other friends didn't exist. Nathan nodded, licking his lips. "She hella pretty" he complimented, biting his lips. I turned my head in disgust as he unlocked the car door. Throwing my backpack and bag in the backseat, I sat in the passenger seat, putting on the seatbelt across me.

"Aren't you with Rebecca", even though o couldn't stand the child, I'm use to her being around.

    The blank expression was enough to answer the question. "We broke up during the summer but we're still fucking. I thought we would eventually get back together but she's fallen for someone else" he said still in shock. They were deeply in love, been together for almost three years , connected at the hip. It surprised me because Rebecca never seemed like his type of vice verse. She was the mean girl cheerleader, and he was the down fo earth guy that everyone wanted to chill with. She loves attention, he wasn't to big on being praised.

    "Mmm don't be plotting on my friend either" I playfully scolded, poking a finger at his forehead.

    Nathan lifted his arms up in surrender but quickly returned his hands on the stirring wheel. "I won't".

    "Oh and I'm gonna start babysitting for some extra money. My first gig is this weekend at eight" he spilled as I looked at him astonished. Working isn't Nathan's thing unless it involved football somewhere in the mix. He always said he wouldn't be doing anything work related in high school so it made me proud to see him making an effort. "I can do whenever I need the extra cash so I can do whatever with money in my pocket".

    "Nice, I'm proud" I lifted up my hand for a high five and he slapped it. "This is gonna be the year".