8. Ice Pack (Pt.2)

Julian

        In the gym, the students sat against the bleachers in loungewear, on their phones and talking about the latest gossip

In the gym, the students sat against the bleachers in loungewear, on their phones and talking about the latest gossip. The coach sat with his head buried in his computer, replying to emails. The music in the gym was loud enough, the athletic people played a game of dodgeball.

"Ah shit" a random boy exclaimed, feeling the pain from the ball hitting his eye, I felt kinda bad since I threw it but shrugged. Our team got another point, I jumped, aiming for another person on the red team. I ran to the other side of the floor, trying not to get hit but balls were coming from everywhere. "This game getting a little dangerous".

Squinting my eyes, I wanted to get a clear hit at Jaylen. Hitting her in the stomach, I smiled watching her double over, holding her stomach. "YOU FUCKER" she screamed out, running towards me and I quickly took off. She stopped, reaching down to pick up a basketball in the corner near the bleachers. Being a track runner blessed her with speed, she threw it at my head, causing me to fall face forward.

"I'm fine now" she smiled, walking towards the other side of the gym. I laid on the ground, rubbing the back of my head, that's definitely gonna leave a mark. Feeling a presence next to me, I looked up seeing Laila holding out her hand. I took it as she helped me up, she lead me to the bleachers with a look of concern. "Do you need to go to the nurse."

"I'm good" I lied, not wanting to give Jaylen the satisfaction of thinking she really did some damage. In reality I needed a ice pack, imma have to sneak and get one after class. "She clocked your ass in the head, boi" Aubrey cackled, literally falling on the floor in laughter. "You should've seen the way you tripped over, I'm totally sending this to Natalie" she waved the phone in my face of the video.

"You betta' no-" she cut me off, tilting her head to the side. "Whatchu' gotta do, you can't even move your head" she joked, walking away, tapping on her phone, probably sending the video to Nat. "I can't stand that child" I mumbled, holding the back of my head.

"I'm getting you a ice pack" Laila said already heading towards the door. "You obvious need one" she finished not giving me a chance to tell her otherwise.

In the meantime, I leaned back on one of the top bleachers, groaning. The pain was starting to go but the soreness was gonna he there for a while. I'm never playing dodgeball if it's gonna bring me this type of hurt. Soon, Laila came pack with a ziploc bag full of cube shaped ice. She passed it to me and I quickly put it on the back of my head, smiling. The feeling felt amazing. "Thanks" I said as she looked at me giggling.

"Your welcome" she said and went back to looking at something on her phone. "Ugh, she's so annoying" she said to herself in irritation.

"Who" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Laila focused her eyes on me, frowning. "My aunt, she's a pain in the ass. She always getting on me and lecturing me about something. I'm practically grown at this point, leave me the fuck alone" she ranted as I widened my eyes in surprise. She was a bubbly spirit, usually. Seeing her cursing and complaining is something new to me. Her eyes quickly softened, palming her face. "I'm sorry, it just gets frustrating sometimes."

"If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here" I assured her. I understood that family problems can get really hectic. If I can be there for someone else to prevent them feeling how I felt, I will. "That's what friends are for"

"Thanks" her face turned red, so she looked the other way. "It's the least I can't do since you got a ice pack for me" I said, hearing the bell ring. Grabbing my belongings, I went in the locker room, changing back into my regular school outfit. In the hallway, I went into coach's office, not minding being a little late for class. My next was forensics and I don't plan on being on time for that snooze fest.

"Wassup, coach K" I greeted, dapping him up and taking a seat across from him. He squinted his eyes at me. "The fuck you want" he said , adjusting his classes. "If you in trouble, just know you'll be running another fifteen laps"

I held my arms up in surrender, offended. "I can't jus have a conversation with my coach" I laughed at how he still seemed unphased by my response. Which I could understand because I'm usually trynna save my ass from conditioning when I did something wrong. "You finna be late for class" he said, averting his attention back to his computer.

"I came in here, because I have some new ideas for the team" , from his raised eyebrows, I've got his attention. "I think we need to have practice on Saturday", putting the idea on the table, made me cringe inside. I hated weekend practice but we're up against our biggest rival.

Coach nodded in agreement, turning his computer screen around. "I drew some of plays and I think we should we good. We beat them last year, I have faith we can do it again." He said with a face full of determination.

"Woodwind don't know what's coming for them" I whispered. We went against them at least two times a year. Our history with them would be win some, lose some. We won against them last year so I wanna keep that streak. Even we don't beat them this time, we have to more games with them, according to our schedule. Those are the games that have people lined outside the concession stands waiting to see.

"I like what I'm hearing, let's do it".

-
Y'all think shit sweet? The damage is coming reeeeaaallll soon, slowly but surely.

   *rubs hands like birdman*