Ch. 40 Act I: Scene I

Start from the beginning

There are three types of dogs in this world.

The loving, cuddly, sometimes protective, pets.

The trained, strong, useful police dogs.

And the Shapeshifters.

And the bodyguard's hatred for the last type overpowered his pain. Silent, he got to his feet, settling into his stance. You damned rabid mutt. His grip tightened on his knife, waiting in anticipation for his opponent's first attack.

The monster lunged, his fangs bared and claws outstretched. The man could barely keep up with the attack with only a single abled arm, blood beginning to trickle down over his eye and blur his vision. However, bit by bit, he began to get used to its attacks.

It was fast, but it attacked too linearly. His experienced eyes could spot its pattern. So he waited. He endured. Strike after strike, as the pain began to overwhelm his senses, his lungs straining for air and all of his muscles screaming in agony from his collision into the wall.

Then he saw it. A slight delay in the monster's left-handed strike. He waited, and when he saw his gap, he acted. He knew he would only have a few seconds to act, but that's all he needed.

He grappled the monster's left arm, throwing him to the ground. His joints screaming in pain, he got the monster's arm in a hold, pulling until he heard the satisfying snap of its shoulder.

The monster screamed in pain, a sound that sounded piercingly more human than a dog's howl. But the bodyguard had years of experience to not let this deter him. A Shifter is not human. He could feel himself about to pass out, and he needed to take the monster out before it did to him.

He slammed his knee into the monster's chest, feeling the satisfying crack of bone. He could see the shifter beginning to revert. Then, before the monster could retaliate, he brought his knife down into the creature's chest.

However, he was half a second too slow. Before the blade could fully pierce the monster's chest, it had been able to let loose with its free arm, punching him in the side. He had only a second to realize that he had failed before he collided into the wall yet again, his ribs properly shattered and his other arm completely gone. Miraculously, the pain managed to keep him awake long enough to see the thing get back up and glare back at him with equal hatred.

He couldn't do anything. He couldn't get up, he couldn't fight back. He closed his eyes and sighed. He wondered if his family would miss him. His job had him away from home often where they didn't need him alive to live a comfortable life. He wondered if she would grow up well, if he would follow in his grandfather's footsteps. Their mother was a strong one, he knew that much. He had taught her all he could. He let out a single wish, a wish to allow him just a little more time...

"Don't die just yet, sir! Your family needs you!"

He snapped his eyes open and saw a blond-haired young man standing in front of him. He had a smile that even caused his eyes to smile, a warm and encouraging aura of an angel.

Blondie put his thumb up. "You did a damn good job on this one, sir. Leave the rest to me, alright? Medics will get here any minute. Hang on until then." He could only nod as Blondie raced forward and punched the monster into the wall.

The old man's fading vision caught the last scene: the silver glint of claws and crimson sprays of blood, accompanied by the glow of blonde hair that shimmered like the sun in the moonlight. He was content with this as his last sight before everything dropped black.

***

It wasn't the shine of the light when his eyes finally opened that told him he was alive. It was the steady beeping of the monitor beside him.