Ch. 3 Caged

Jennie was never one of those people who hated Shapeshifters just at the mention of their name. Back in New Zealand, because of Jason's family incident, the fear of rogues spread and she started hearing more cruel comments about shapeshifters among the supposedly nice neighbors.

"You never know who could go rogue these days," they said in hushed voices in a gossip group. "Heck, you never know who among ourselves could be a Shapeshifter in hiding!"

As if that wasn't enough negativity to overhear, Jason would sometimes come home to Jennie after being gone for a few days on "hunting trips". The young Beast Slayer would always retell the story of his killing like an action movie where he was the hero.

Jennie was always uncomfortable because she didn't think it was necessary to glorify a kill of a rogue, she didn't like the violence. But she didn't argue with him back because the first time she did, he blew up on her and that was their first and only major argument.

She secretly felt bad for the rest of the shapeshifter population who must live under fear and supervision all the time because of a few rogues. She's never met any, sane or insane shifters, but there was always this certain sympathy in her that made her want to snap at those people to shut up when they talk like shifters weren't humans at all. Sadly, she always kept quiet, afraid of their judgments for her different mindset.

But Jennie couldn't speak up to defend even herself now either since she was frozen in fear with uncertainty.

When Jason and Jennie got back to their hotel room, Jason called someone who was supposedly his friends from Korea that had connections with his family's work back in New Zealand. Jennie didn't dare ask anything about what his friends knew about shapeshifters and how they would help her, fearing that he may snap at her.

So she sat on the edge of the bed, hugging her knees to her chest tightly while she waited for him to come back from picking his friends up at the lobby. She didn't want to admit it, but there was a heavy gut feeling that's making her shake in fear.

After fifteen minutes have passed, Jennie started to cry again. "Please...please don't leave me."

But shortly after her small prayer, the door opened to reveal Jason followed by two older men... wearing the police uniforms.

Jennie's voice shook with dread, "W-What's going on?"

"Calm down, Miss," one of the police held up his hands, showing that he didn't mean any harm. "We're not going to hurt you because you're still calm as a shifter. We're just going to take you to your new home."

"What?!" Her fear was quickly replaced with anger. "The only home I'm going to is back to New Zealand where I can pretend this never happened! I-It's just some biological glitch or something! Everybody knows you can't present as a shifter after age 18, I'm 22!"

"Jennie, just calm down-"

"Jason, shut the fuck up!!" She screeched at him, the betrayal fueling her anger. "You told me that you would help me! Not report me like I'm some kind of criminal!"

Jason actually rolled his damn eyes, "I lied, there is no cure to reverse such thing, no matter how much my parents are dumbly trying." Honestly, Jennie wasn't even that surprised by the truth. Disappointed, betrayed, and insulted though, yes. "And besides, at least it's the police and not Slayers, bitch."

"Oh how noble of you for not slaying me yourself," she snapped back sarcastically, "that really shows how caring you are." She spat at his face.

Jason raised a hand to slap her but one of the policemen stopped him. "It's not a good idea to provoke her anymore."