Ch. 15 Our Tests Aren't Easy to Play

Seeing how tense Jennie was standing at the center of the rink, V decided to give her some advice. "This is a test specialized for you as a snow leopard, Jennie. You've fought in your animal form before, just let instinct take over. If you feel like you're getting too tired... push through."

Jennie almost wanted to roll her eyes. Based on his uncaring face, she knew what he really meant: Push through anyway because me being tired won't mean anything to you, especially not to Jimin.

"Let's start then," Jimin said right as he jabbed his thumb into a button on the remote.

The whirring sound of a Beamer charging up was Jennie's only warning sound for a good five seconds. She barely managed to turn around to spot it and dodge some kind of energy beam that was shot out.

"What the hell?" Jennie gasped, mentally and physically not prepared for that. She quickly tied her hair back into a ponytail and concentrated on her hearing.

Another one was charging up behind her, but she was ready this time.

"Shift!"

Okay, she wasn't really ready for that.

A flash of red from out of the corner of her eye, Jennie had a split second of mental decision making: shift first then dodge or dodge first then shift?

But her snow leopard decided for her and saved her life. It knew that the process of shifting was slow, so her human body twirled away in the nick of time away from the red energy beam and then she shifted to regain balance.

"You took too long to decide, Jennie!" V called out. "You're lucky instinct took over in time." Not wasting any time, he pressed another button. "Shift!"

This time, Jennie dodged by jumping high up in the air and shifted mid-air, landing on her feet. When her feet landed softly on the ground and she stood straight up, she was actually shocked and impressed with herself. Wow, I didn't think that would work.

"Shift!"

So the test went on.

Jimin was more merciless in calling out the commands back to back. Sometimes he'd wait for so long, she got anxious, anticipating the next command. Sometimes he'd make her shift at every dodge, seconds apart. Those were the worst.

While she didn't feel drained about shifting back and forth, it was adjusting to the change in senses that was difficult.

Even when she was human, she could feel her senses slightly more enhanced if she concentrated hard enough. Her physical ability was faster too. The thing she had trouble with was the balance.

She knew already that snow leopards have great balance because of their long tail, allowing them to climb on the steep rocky cold habitats. When she's in her snow leopard form, she could almost effortlessly dodge the attacks, jumping from one place to another with her powerful legs. She didn't need time to recharge for a jump, she basically was just bouncing from here to there.

But when it came to shifting back as a human, she almost dreaded it because her enhanced cat abilities would be gone, leaving her disoriented and dizzy since her eyesight wasn't as sharp and her human muscles would be sore from lactic acid.

Jennie lost count of how many commands she's completed but she pushed through anyway, shaking away her exhaustion.

"You're doing great, Jennie!" Strangely, V's voice came from above her. When she looked up, he was smiling widely down at her and gave her a thumbs up. She shakingly smiled back, but knowing him... there was something a little too... nice about that smile.