Ch. 22 Tension

V carried the sleeping Jennie bridal-style out the warehouse where the rest of the team was waiting. Jihoon and Yoojung looked at the older girl with worry. They saw what happened and hoped that it doesn't negatively affect her too much. They were already used to this life. A mission where all the targets were killed was normal and expected.

"I called someone to pick us up," Jihoon informed, "and sent the scout that was watching to Yeri-ssi so they can deal with the aftermath of all their deaths. She'll make up some cover-up story about an accidental fire here."

Yoojung held up an empty tank of gasoline quite proudly, "Everything's set. Just let me know when I can spark the match."

V nodded approvingly, "I'm glad you two are okay." Besides some scratches and dried blood stains, his caracals don't look too injured.
The Panther Shifter, on the other hand, was on the ground leaning against the wall while clutching his side. "What happened to you?" V asked.

Jaeho glanced up at his Master, ashamed, "Two of those bastards jumped me from behind while I was occupied with ripping apart another. Broke at least two ribs."

V felt slightly sorry for the poor kid, but this was a good lesson to fix his attitude. "For every person I allow to go on a mission with me, I have a reason. So bringing you along, an arrogant, overconfident trainee, is for example purposes." He nodded in gesture to the heavy injuries due to the boy's recklessness. "Don't ever question my judgement again, understood?"

Jaeho firmly nodded, regret in his hunched body language, "Yes, Master, I'm sorry."

At that time, a black van pulled up and flashed its blue headlight three times, that was the signal to indicate the van was part of Bangtan Academy. V started instructing everyone, "Jaeho needs medical attention immediately. I need someone to stabilize Jennie's arm. Someone set up a crossbow for Yoojung to spark a fire arrow."

Jihoon helped Jaeho onto the back of the van to have the injured lay down to be treated while V carried Jennie to the back seat. Everyone stayed their while the medics did their jobs and the van got moving again.

Yoojung sat in the passenger seat with the window open. At a safe distance from the warehouse, she loaded a fire arrow and launched her crossbow.

Everyone watched the disgusting warehouse torch up into flames. V tapped his bluetooth earring, "Scout 274: Jasper, you out there?"

"Right here, boss, about to fly up."

"Watch the flames and alert me if it starts to get wild or if any wanderers get close. I'll send some Water Shifters if needed."

"Understood, boss. I'm out."

"Be careful, Jasper." After making sure the Crow Scout was circling a safe distance in the air, V signaled the driver to go. He shifted Jennie around so she could lie comfortably across the seats with her head on his lap.

Jihoon moved up from the back to take a seat in the row in front of V behind Yoojung. "Jihoon-ah," the leader called, "whatever mission I approve for your group next, you're leader of it."

The boy was taken aback by the sudden remark but grinned widely, "Thank you so much, Master V." He then proceeded to excitedly talk to Yoojung while V smiled fondly at the two.

He laid his head back to take a nap too. Although this mission did end up being okay, too many unexpected things happened that really did a number on his mentality and spirit. There were certain things that happened that did not sit well with him.

***

After they got back to the Academy, they all went straight to the infirmary to get their injuries checked out. V stayed beside Jennie's bed until the nurses told him that she was stable. Upon leaving her side, his true thoughts about her Gift came rushing back. He had previously pushed it far back in his mind so he could concentrate on making sure Jennie was okay. But now that they were back, it irritated him.