Ch. 24 Nightmares

That night, Jennie laid on her bed staring off into the darkness. Her body was physically exhausted and her eyes were heavy but if she closed her eyes for only a few seconds, those flashbacks come back and it scares her awake.

You would think that if you obtained a big clue to uncover your past that you would be overjoyed and start investigating further. And you would think that if you potentially found your long lost childhood best friend that you two would be ecstatic with the reunion.

If only it was that easy... everything was so complicated now.

Giving up on trying to get some sleep, Jennie closed her eyes to meditate herself into Abyss State instead...

... It's a wonder how the Soul World worked. It was like it's own little dimension for just the soul animal and its Master. Day and night were the same, as the clear sparkling night sky was visible above the snow mountain landscape.

But time sometimes shifted depending on the situation the Master was in. When Jennie was having a whole conversation with Glacia before her first kill that seemed like a few minutes, it was actually only a few seconds as Jennie later found out.

But time right now was like normal, and that's all Jennie needs right now. Some kind of normality to keep her head from going insane with confusing thoughts and theories. She just needed normal time with her soul animal.

Jennie has visited Glacia a lot these days because of how lonely and neglected she felt ever since V left her. The snow leopard and girl would just cuddle up in their cave and sleep. Jennie was surprised that sleeping while in Abyss State was just the same as sleeping in the real world, she would just wake up back in her own bed and the sun would be rising.

Glacia was by the mouth of the cave, waiting as always in expectancy. She hasn't spoken telepathically with her master since the day of Jennie's first kill. The girl guessed it was only used under highly important, intense circumstances. But she didn't mind, she understood her cat just from the body language and cat sounds.

Tonight, Glacia trotted up to its Master as soon as she saw her appear. It stood up on its hind legs and draped its long front legs over Jennie's shoulder, careful to not put too much weight on her slim Master.

Jennie was briefly taken aback from the sudden, new action but immediately hugged Glacia like she's afraid she'll lose her animal to thin air... like she seemingly lost her childhood friend. "Glacy... I'm so confused," she mumbled into the soft coat.

Glacia made a low sound that caused her chest to rumble. She only hugged Jennie tighter. "I don't know... honestly... I just want us to be like before again." Another wave of tears broke from its dam. "I-I miss him... I want to know how he's doing... I want us to be okay. But I don't know how to make everything okay again... Why do I still care so much anyway?"

Glacia squeezed Jennie tight for a short moment, a reassuring action. The girl stopped babbling to just listen to her cat purr and its heartbeat. The slim girl was enclosed by warm, securing fur against the forever cold wind of this place. It was comforting, but she couldn't help but remember how this was a similar warmth to whenever V hugged her.

"Why V?... Why?"

Glacia finally let go first and nudged Jennie with its head towards the cave. Upon entering, Jennie expected them to cuddle and sleep but instead, she was pushed further into the cave. Curious but a little fearful from the unknown darkness, Jennie made sure her palm was always on the big cat's head while she was being led.

Jennie's enhanced eyesight could only get her so far in the pitch black, so she emitted a blue glow from her hands. It didn't take too long before they hit a dead end. Confused, she looked to Glacia who only nudged her towards the back wall. Cautiously, she walked forward.