Ch. 13 New Home

Jennie didn't know how long she was asleep but when she woke up, the sun had already set and the sky was a marble color of the dusk. It would be beautiful if it wasn't for the fact the black shadows made haunting dancing illusions from the dense forest.

Waking up from a deep nap that she only vaguely remembered falling into spiked her anxiety. Her eyes shot open and she sat up way too fast. A dizzy spell struck her and she started hyperventilating, sucking in warm air but it felt sticky in her lungs.

Her snow leopard gave a whiny growl in discomfort while her human-self was still trying to calm down, but her limbs felt trapped in the claustrophobic space causing an image of the cage to flash in her mind.

"Jennie? Oh my God, unnie!"

The car door opened to let in a current of fresh, chilly breeze. Her snow leopard instantly purred at the relief and Jennie closed her eyes to savour the feeling of it.

"Jennie-unnie," the panicked girl recognized Yeri's voice, "you're okay. You're in V's car."

The smaller girl felt Jennie still shaking in her arms. She tried rubbing her back and holding her tighter but Jennie kept squirming and whimpering. Thinking quickly, she grabbed her brother's sweatshirt that was near and put it close to Jennie's face. "Breathe," the younger advised.

The familiar softness and peppermint scent on the sweatshirt made her snow leopard purr louder with content. Jennie buried her whole face into it, her breathing going back to normal now. The cat shifter sighed deeply as her heart rate calmed down, "Thank you, Yeri-ah."

The younger girl rubbed the older's shoulder comfortingly, "No problem, unnie."

"Jennie."

The said girl's head snapped up in the direction of the soft deep voice. V was approaching the car with a different clean t-shirt and jacket, his hair was tousled though, the only sign that he had been in a struggle.

Yeri got out of the car to give V space to go in. Jennie's body moved on its own, shyly closer at first but when V's arms opened up, she didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around him, enveloped in his winter aura but warm body. His eyes searched her face with a worried look, "You okay? Sorry I wasn't here when you woke up."

She nodded, "Yeah, just took a nap. What about you though? You... changed clothes... Was it bad?"

"Umm, yeah, I didn't think it'd be a good idea to show up with blood on a ripped up shirt with burned holes in them."

"What?" Jennie's eyes widened in alarm at how he described the result of the "clean-up duty".

Yeri scoffed at her brother, "Oppa, watch your words. She already woke up with a panic attack."

"What?" Now it was V's turn to look alarmed.

"No, no, I'm fine," Jennie quickly reassured. "It was just dark and I wasn't fully woken up and got dizzy but I'm fine now!"

V's eyes flickered down to the clothing still clutched tightly in Jennie's hands. "Hmmm my sweatshirt couldn't have played a role in helping you calm down, now could it?" There was that smirk again.

Jennie lightly slapped his face for teasing her, "Anywaaay, you were in worst shape!"

"Don't worry, kitty. It wasn't my blood. The rips and burns were because of JHope's flames, like the flickers got a little too wild..." V shook his head exasperatedly while Jennie grimaced at the thought. "I'm all good though, see?" He showed her a big boxy smile that made Jennie want to coo at the sudden adorableness.

"Fine," Jennie accepted with a smile.

"You want details?"

Jennie hummed in thought, "Mmm only the good parts."