Ch. 40 Act I: Scene I

I'm baaaaaaack!!!!

I'm sooooooooooo sorry for the late update!! 😭😭 I didn't realize it's been about a month and a half and I left you all dry from my story updates. I honestly had a writer's block so it was taking me a while but now that I have my writing steam back, I'll get cranking down on writing the new chapters!!

AS A REMINDER whenever there's a Masters meeting, they all meet in the conference room of BTS's main base, which is the Academy base. The masters from Dark Swarm, Blue Hope, and Safe Haven are always on video call where their screen is projected big on a wall. I just don't want to keep repeating that some of them are not physically there lol. So unless I specifically say that all the Masters have come down from their bases to the main HQ, this is what their meetings look like.

Okay that's all, enjoy!!

******

~One Week Before Chaeyoung's Return~

"Alright, that is all the information you need to know. You'll have one week. Have a good night, gentlemen." The meeting to debrief the security team was finally finished. It was late and everyone was ready to just go home to their beds, even the head of security who led the meeting.

But it was necessary, they had one like this every time the special child was returning home from her glorious travels. They had to make sure that she returned to a safe city, which was hard to keep up with as it is. The tides of a city were always changing.

The men in suits left the grand Park estate to return to their respective homes in the city. Since the property was built far out in the outskirts of Seoul, it was several miles of forest road. The only sounds were the grumbling of the tires running across the smooth pavement, and with the windows down slightly to let in the tangy cool autumn breeze in, driving under a clear night sky such as tonight could easily lull a tired worker to sleep.

Eventually, the tranquility will begin to be overwhelmed by the leaking noises from the city borders. By then, they're not only woken up by the bustling sounds of the lively setting, but they're on higher alert.

Our particular bodyguard rushingly parked his car in the parking lot before walking past some buildings to get to his apartment building. He had dinner at the Park mansion already with his colleagues, but nothing beats feasting on his wife's food with her before going to bed with a happy stomach.

The man whistled a sweet tune down the quiet sidewalk.

His whistling gave away his position in the dark...

It came from nowhere, a flash of movement in front of his eyes followed by intense pain all across his back. The world went white, and intense ringing engulfed his ears. He doubled over coughing blood. His mind clicked into fighter mode as his years of training kicked in.

Blinking and shaking his head furiously to clear his vision and stop the ringing, his hands came up barely fast enough to block the incoming kick. A large crack and pain immediately followed. He felt his feet come off the ground, his left arm hanging limply by his side, the bones in the lower side being fractured to pieces. He rolled after colliding with the ground, but pulled out his knife because he was not about to submit to defeat.

Looking up, he was now able to put a face on his shadow attacker. It was stalking towards him. Froth bubbling at the mouth, eyes bloodshot, nose flaring from the heavy breathing. Claws extended from its fingers and its sharpened teeth glistened in the moonlight. What made it more horrific was that these animalistic features belonged to a humanoid face and body.