Ch. 8 Back for What's Mine

Seeing the skyscrapers and people and just being in the urban setting again made her feel kind of queasy. Jenny gulped, "Is this nervous feeling coming from my human mind or my snow leopard wanting to be back with nature?"

V shrugged, "Probably both. You can blame it on your cat to make yourself feel better. Or you can just admit to yourself that you're scared."

Jennie huffed, "Why would I be scared? I've only been a Shifter for one day and shifted once after all. I can still fit in."

"Now you're just convincing yourself, not me."

Jennie slapped his arm again, "Aren't you affected by this setting?"

"Now, now, cub, you don't know anything about me to be asking such question." The statement was supposed to be playful, but Jennie could hear the underlying warning and offense in his voice. Also, the fact that he called her "cub" again reminded her that she was way too new in this Shifter world to be asking such casual, careless questions.

"I'm sorry," Jennie said in a soft voice. She reworded her question, "How are you feeling right now?"

Instead of answering right away, V looked at her face for a moment. His lips pulled up in a lazy smirk and Jennie took that as a sign of approval. She was glad to see that, genuinely not wanting to lose an acquaintance who could help her in so many ways that she was grateful for already.

"I'm fine with it," V shrugged. "You do realize that a lot of shifters still live among humans, they're just really good at hiding it. You can't tell who's what just by looking or acting. So me being here is as normal as me training back at the base with my fellow beings."

Jennie nodded, feeling bad for assuming that being a Shapeshifter would change your adaptability to be around humans. "It's just... I'm just worried about adjusting once I get back home. I'll let my grandma know, but what if I see Jason again, and what if he already let my neighborhood know, and what if I-"

"Cub, I'm driving, I can't deal with dramatic what if's right now."

Jennie immediately shut her mouth, feeling embarrassed that she was acting like a child in front of someone she just met. "Aish, I'm so sorry, I'm not usually like this, I swear." She reminded herself that V and all the other girls in the cages and even Suran and her friends have most likely had it way much worse than her, so she shouldn't be whiny when nothing that bad has happened to her yet.

V patted her head, "We're almost there. Just focus on what we're about to do now, okay?"

"Right," Jennie ran her fingers through her hair and let out a huff of air, clearing her head. "The cameras and hotel guests on my floor have seen my face so I can't go in without being caught..." She trailed off in thought. Jennie ran through the possibilities to figure out a plan.

If Jason was still staying in the hotel, hopefully, he'll be out and she'll grab her stuff and go. If Jason was in the room, having V here would be good protection, although they're both violently unpredictable so she dismissed that scary thought. If Jason already did check out... oh God knows what he could have done with her stuff. She had a big mouth and talked big, but she honestly, absolutely did not want to see that man who did this to her, who dumped her so easily with no hesitation.

In all the cases, she had to be sure of one thing.

"Sooo, Lisa said something about missions you guys do," Jennie started.

V sighed, "Where are you heading with this?"

"It's nothing big, don't worry. But do your missions ever involve sneaking around and/or being undercover?"