Ch. 34 The Second Apex Monster

Word Count: 8153

******

V was yelling into an empty space.

"W-What the hell?" He whispered, jumping down into the room. Nothing was hiding in there. It was completely empty and untouched from the fire disaster, just extremely dusty and white fluffs of cobweb.

"Tae! Tae, please help me!" The haunting chant came again.

And when he looked towards the source, he found a tape recorder.

"Holy shit..." There was also a small light pink feather next to it.

Everything fell into place, along with a sense of fearful alarm. "No... no no no, it can't be!" Suddenly, he was aware of how disturbing this little room was. Its creepy setting was now making the hair on the back of his neck stand. Just as quickly as he got in, he got out, sprinting out of the burned down orphanage.

Jimin and his team were already there waiting for him, surrounding the building as a precaution. He noticed the panic in V's face. "What did you find?"

V didn't answer him, instead, he tapped on his earpiece to connect to Wendy. "Wendy, where is Yeri?!"

The older girl stumbled with her words in surprise, "Uh, she should be getting off her shift at Blue Hope by now. Why?"

"Are you sure? Is she with the other girls?"

"When I left, yes. Why?" she asked again with more urgency, "Is there something wrong?"

But V ended the call. Her answer wasn't good enough for him. He cursed while he took out his phone and called Yeri himself. He let out a huge sigh of relief when she answered in a normal tone. "Oh Yeri-ah, thank Ariel. Are you okay? Has anything bad happened lately? Are you at home?"

"Whoa, whoa, oppa, slow down. Yes, I'm walking home right now, I just finished work. Mmm, nothing bad has happened to me." The fact that her older brother figure was calling her like this was highly concerning, which caused her to suddenly be on edge. She subtly searched for anyone suspicious on the streets of the city. She lowered her voice, "Why? Are you okay, oppa? What's going on with the mission?"

"I haven't found Jennie yet but I found one of your feathers and got scared," he let out a big breath. "Don't worry about it for now. Just be careful. Are you closer to your home or Blue Hope?"

"Blue Hope is closer if I turn back."

"I want you to go back there where it's safer. Go home when the rest of the Red Velvet girls leave, alright?"

"Um, okay, oppa," she was confused but she didn't argue. She tried to keep her pace calm and normal. "Be careful, big brother."

"I will, you too, sweetheart." The call calmed V's nerves a little bit. He connected back with the rest of the Masters to report, "I found a tape recording of Jennie's voice calling me for help. I also found a pink feather next to it, one that looks exactly like Yeri's. There's no way Jennie could've said that, she's not weak. Someone must've mimicked her voice but Yeri's the only one we know who has that impeccable gift. But she said that she was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. There's no way Yeri couldn't have been set up to say that either."

"M-Maybe..." Wendy tried to reason to keep herself from panicking, "they used a Shifter that has the same Gift."

"That's possible, but they obviously put Yeri's feather there on purpose." Gaho was seriously trying to mess with V and he knew it.

"We're wasting our time," Yoongi said. "We'll figure that part out later. Anyways, there's nothing here. Let's go search around outside the valley."