Ch. 1 Home is Where the Journey Begins

"집에 돌아온 기분이 어때, 제니? (How does it feel to be back home, Jennie?)" The said girl's boyfriend held out his fist like a microphone in front of her face, snapping her out of my wonderous daze at the cityscape in front of me.

"H-huh?" Jennie intelligently responded.

Jason ruffled her hair teasingly, returning to his New Zealand-accented English, "Come on, Jennie-ah. I'm training you to get back to your mother tongue here."

She swatted his hand away but giggled, "Yeah, yeah, my Korean is perfectly fine. I'm just..." her faraway look returned as her eyes scanned her new surroundings again. "...overwhelmed is all. Cityscape is similar to back in New Zealand, but there's just a certain feeling that's different and indescribable."

With a big smile, Jennie clapped her hands and jumped in place, a rush of excitement running through her body. With one hand on her suitcase, the other intertwined with Jason's. "Let's get to the hotel quickly so we can go exploring!"

***

When Jennie's grandma announced that she got her tickets to go on a one week vacation to Seoul, South Korea, the 22 year-old brunette was literally bouncing off walls. For as long as she could remember, Jennie has only known New Zealand, and even though she absolutely adored her home, she wanted to get in touch with her origins.

Jennie didn't remember anything before she was 15 years-old. Her grandma, isn't really her biological grandma. Heck, she didn't even know her biological parents. Her first solid memory was when she was 15 years-old waking up in the warm bed of an old-fashioned, quaint cabin in the middle of the woods that was owned by the nice old lady who she now called her grandma.

For whatever reason, she had woken up to a badly injured body. The old lady, Song Maylee, nursed her back to health and they left Korea for New Zealand after three days she woke up. In this new country, Maylee gladly took Jennie under her wing and cared for her as if she was her real grandchild. Even though neither of them had any clue where to start to dig up Jennie's past, the young girl didn't get sad much over it because Grandma Maylee was all she needed.

Since old Maylee was also Korean, she taught Jennie everything she needed to know about her ethnicity, from the language to the history and culture. It was to prepare Jennie for when the time came for her to visit her home country. And this week in one summer, seven years later, Jennie has returned, bringing her sweet, perfect boyfriend of two years along.

For the rest of the day, the excited girl suggested that they biked around the parks to enjoy the sun, a little nature in the city. Then at night, they would go out to dinner and walk around the city streets and do some shopping, since the city lights are prettier at night.

Call the young couple cliche but Jennie planned this to be nice and simple so she could relax my mind and body, to allow herself to somehow reconnect her soul with the Korean atmosphere.