A birthday to remember

ابدأ من البداية

I sighed and got to work getting ready for the day. That was one hell of a way to start my eighteenth birthday- and adulthood. A good half-hour later, and I was heading for the gates.
"Rose?" the two guardians on duty curiously enquired.
"I'm doing a ghost check in."

It was lucky these two were the same ones who'd been on gate duty when I'd checked in with Mase two weeks ago. They, like Dimitri, had seen the weird one-sidedness of, and the Rose-is-possibly-verging-on-insane, sight. And I was getting that look again, the one that said they weren't too sure I was that stable. It wasn't the look I'd received from Dimitri- that had been close to one of total torture. 

"Guys! I'm fine. Call Dimitri if you must." I added when they didn't do anything. So, what did they do? They called my mentor-turned-lover. Of course, said mentor-turned-lover came running. Quite literally, he practically barrelled into me.
"Open the gates just a little. Let her through, just a few steps." he instructed. "She's not escaping while under my watch." he reassured them. That was what they wanted to hear. God! Was Dimitri really the only one who trusted me not to run again?!

I was let out two steps and the headache and black spots set in. Yup. I was going on med's when this was over. Clearly. Mason's ghost was barely distinguishable, and flickering as if ready to go out.
"Hey Mase. You almost ready to go?" I asked once under control. He nodded ever so slightly. Then raised his hand to point at Dimitri, who was one step behind me. "What about him, Mase?" I knew it was a question which would get me nowhere. Well, at least with a verbal answer. He pointed between Dimitri and I then drew a love heart. Then, just to make sure I understood the question, he pointed at me then my heart, covered his heart and shook his head. Continuing with pointing at me, then my heart, then Dimitri, his heart then me and mine again.
And I had tears in my eyes, because I knew what he was asking. 'You and him are in love, together? It wasn't me your heart belonged to was it? It was his, and his belongs to you?'
"Yes. Mase." I choked out. "I'm sorry. So so sorry." He just shook his head as if to say 'don't apologise'. "Why? Why shouldn't I? I wronged you." Again, stupid idea to ask a ghost open-ended questions.
"You. Need. Him. Not. Me." was painfully slowly mouthed out one word at a time.
"Oh Mase."
This time it was "I. Want. You. Happy. Safe. He. Does. That." that was painfully slowly mouthed out one word at a time.
"Thank you, Mase." I was still in tears, but a sad smile was forming on my lips. He started to almost completely disappear on me once the smile formed.
"Happy. Birthday. Rosie." he mouthed. Then grinned after I did. With one soft wave goodbye, he disappeared- finally at peace.

I slammed my mental walls up, turned and fell into Dimitri's arms, and was carried back into campus. Being carried like a baby on Dimitri's hip, I might add. The gate clanged shut behind us while we received questioning and curious looks from the two on duty. I was still crying into Dimitri's shoulder and I was clinging to him like there was no tomorrow.

"Come on Rose. I believe you might need the med clinic." Dimitri softly spoke in my ear as he led me away from the gate. Led? I was still being carried.
"I do." I gurgled and mumbled out.

Ten minutes later, and Dimitri was carrying me through the doors of the senior campus med clinic. I was still feeling too miserable from my encounter, and was beginning to  believe the darkness was making it a bigger issue than it really was.
"Rose, Belikov?" Dr Olendzki questioned and I clung tighter to Dimitri.
"The shadows have gotten her." was all Dimitri had to say. Well, the doc was actually directing us to a private and 'reserved' room the second my man had said 'shadows'.

It was a code that had recently been put in place. It meant I was to be separated and checked up on mentally more than physically. It also meant Dimitri had to be in the room with me. This was my fallout and injury because of the attack.