Chapter 29

I sit in the giant room waiting for my father. He is talking to some of the council members. I look around the room and everything has very intricate designs.

"Avalee, will you follow me, I would appreciate the company of my daughter." I nod, and hop out of the large stone chair.

"Can I ask you something?" I say quickly, I need to know what it means to be linked. I know Aiden told me a lot but I am still confused.

"Yes my dear, anything." He says, smiling down at me.

"What does it mean to be linked?.." i ask, my voice trembling slightly.

"Well, it means exactly what the word means. You are linked to someone permanently, and though you still have a choice to not be with that person, your body begins to feel very ill if you are not around that person. Which is why I wasn't going to banish anyone though I know the truth.." he says, he gives me an all knowing look and my face heats up.

"Of course, Aiden told me you knew about him being linked to me since I was born.. and had you banished him then I would have became very ill." I say, slightly starting to understand.

"Well not just because of Aiden.." he says, looking almost confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask, my brain whirling trying to comprehend.

"Um, I'm not sure if I should be the one to tell you, maybe it would be better to find out on your own.. because if you don't know then someone else doesn't know as well.." my father says, his jaw tenses as he thinks about something.

"Why didn't you come for me?" I ask, I don't know where the words came from.

"My daughter, I tried, but keeping you where you were was the safest thing for both worlds. When your mother tried to strike the first time, had you been here, you would have been killed.. because she thought you was here and she tried to kill you.. Instead she hurt Aiden and Lily. Because someone had lied to her.. someone who had been coming to see Aiden and Lily.. Eric had told her that you had made your way to Terra and he was following you that's why he was lurking around the border. She came for you, and was going to kill you, but she only found Aiden and Lily and tortured them horribly before we managed to get to them. It was then that Eric was marked as a traitor. Because instead of choosing our side he lied and said that Aiden and Lily were trying to save you.. I knew he was abused, he was being hurt by your mother too.. I didn't want to mark him as a traitor.. but he was a threat to Aiden and Lily, he was a threat to us all.. and he was a threat to you."

"But that still doesn't explain why you kept me in the human world with grand- I mean Violet. Scarlett was in the human world too, she could have killed me there..." I say beginning to get angry.

"Ava, I done what I had to do.. I erased your memories from your youngest years so you wouldn't know this place till the time was right. Violet was the only person who knew how to deal with your body adjusting to two essences.." he stops talking. Knowing he has said to much.

"What do you mean two essences.." I say, my voice breaking slightly.

"When you were born.. your eyes were the color of opal... they were beautiful.. and when your brother was born.. he was going to die, we knew because his eyes were black.. when a baby is born with black eyes in Terra they never survive.. we still tried to save him, but when he touched you when they laid you together, he gave you his essence.. he gave you his pain.. when you were born you had the essence of life, which was amazing, but then you ended up with the essence of your brother.. you gained the essence of death.."

I think back to when my eyes were Opal and onyx..

Then the moment they turned pure onyx, not other sign of color.

"What was my brothers name?" I ask, my voice and entire body deflated.

"His name was going to be Lee..." my father says. I can't breath, I need to be alone. I begin to run, my body shaking and my father yelling for me.

I hit a dead end, and notice a door. I open it and exit the castle. I am a5 the back of the kingdom, when there are still alot of houses and people milling around. I run past everyone even run past Lily who shouts for me to stop. I run until I reach the wall of the kingdom. I begin to climb, though I almost fall at first, but soon as if I have been climbing my entire life I climb up the wall quickly. Once I am at the top I look at the castle. My eyes focus on a window.

Eric's window.

He looks at me, and curses before opening the window.

"Ava get down now, I just became your guardian, and you are already trying to get me killed!" I hear him yell but it is faint due to the distance between us. I look away, and lower my self down the steep wall. When I drop the last few feet it's not the stone of the inner wall grounds that my feet hit. It is the luscious green forest floor.

I begin to run, knowing that Eric will be on his way out to find me, along with Aiden, Ty, Lily, and Adriel. My feet barely make a noise as I continue to run, my sword still hanging on my hip.

I begin to see an opening in the trees and think that I must be close to a meadow, and I continue to run towards the clearing.

It was the wrong thing to do.

Before I can react I hit the opening which is actually a cliff with a large river below. I try to stop but my feet slide on the loose dirt covering the stone.

I feel my body sliding over the edge, my fingers clawing for anything to hold on to.

I come up empty and I slide over the edge. I feel a scream escape my throat as I see a figure at the edge of the cliff.

His skin shimmers in the light and soon he dives after me.

I feel something break as my body hits to unwelcoming surface of the water.

Then everything goes black.