Chapter 28

Eric

"I, Eric, vow to stay by princess Avalee's side, to care for, and protect. Shall she be harmed while in my care I will let the ranks harm me, shall she perish while in my care.. I will bring my own end by her side. I, Eric, vow to be the Guardian of Avalee." I say, my voice never shakes, though my heart is beating nearly out of my chest.

"Thank you Eric, Aiden will take you to your new quarters. There you will sleep and eat around my daughters schedule." The king say waving a dismissive hand, lightning cracks outside of the castle signalling the meeting is over.

I catch Ava's gaze, and she looks almost in pain.

She begins to get up, but the king places a gentle hand on her arm.

Aiden walks towards me, motioning for me to follow him as he begins walking out of the council room. All of the people of Terra will now go to eat before they go back to their homes, the king never asks for your presence if he does not intend to feed you.

After we have made it far away from anyone else I see Aiden visibly relax. He slows and I step up beside him.

"I thought she was going to refuse to go through with it.." Aiden says, he looks stressed.

"Can you uncloak me?" I ask stopping, since I was asked a traitor I had been cloaked so that I couldn't see the true beauty of Terra and it's people. Though everyone is still beautiful, I want to see their natural beauty. Although mine won't change much, due to being a half breed.

"I guess I have to now that you are a guardian.." he says before placing a hand over my eyes and saying the words. My eyes tingle then it is done, I open my eyes and see Aiden's natural face, I was always jealous of his natural face, because even though I wasn't fully human my features could never compare to his.

He smirks at me before walking away towards my new room.

After an eternity and lost of steps we finally reach a long hall. All of the paintings on the wall are of Ava at various ages. I know in an instant who painted them and jealously strikes my heart.

Aiden opens a door across from a portrait of Ava sitting on her back porch in the human world. I follow him inside and see a stone room that is bigger than any room I ever had in the human world.

"This is your new bedroom, I'm sure it's far better than the holding rooms. By the way, this room connects directly to Ava's. So if she needs you quickly, you just open the door on the far wall and you can enter her room. Though you better not make a habit of it.." Aiden winks at me, and I know he is only partially joking. He is linked to her, and though a link will never go away, there is no law saying that someone who is linked has to be with the one they are linked to, they will only feel ill.

"Not gonna step on your toes, got it." I say, fake surrendering.

"Now my room is on the other side, and also connects to her room, so if you ever want some company you know where I'm at. Also the king wanted a word with Ava, so he will bring her to her room shortly, so in the meantime just get comfortable, they will bring you some clothes." Aiden says flashing me a devilish smile.

"Playboy.." I say as he shuts the door behind him.

My mind goes back instantly to the night I officially met Ava.

I was walking through the party, I had managed to get some information about it from a bunch of girls skipping class at the high school. I had even found her car that day, but she had a note on her windshield so I didn't bother it. I saw her friend come outside for a moment and stopped her, she wasn't hard to persuade, all I had to do was flash her my pearly whites and flirt a little and she was putty in my hands. I told her to ask Ava to go to the party and at first she told me no, she said that Ava wasn't allowed to do that kind of thing. I managed to convince her, and she smiled a very human smile at me and skipped back into the school. After that I hurried back to the safe house, Ivy was determined to go with me to get Ava, but I told her no. I had never told Ivy no before that night. She was the love of my life, I had been with her since I had chose to stay in the human world. She thought she was the reason I had stayed, that I had chose another half breed.

I gave Ivy that night, I stayed with her and gave her every ounce of love I had to give. When we woke up the next day I had a strange feeling, as if I was sick.

Ivy tried to convince me to let her go get Ava, but I refused, she was persistent and by the time I had left I had broken poor Ivy. I had yelled at her, and cursed her more times than I had ever to anyone in my life. I didn't know why I had so much anger towards her. I didn't know that, after that night I would never see her again.

I remember leaving for the party with my radio blasting. By the time I got there I was ready to make Ava trust me, so that she would leave with me.

I didn't expect Aiden to show up.

When I got her back to the safe house Scarlett struck her, and I refused to leave her side. Why wouldn't I leave her side.

I fell asleep beside her, and as I fell asleep I felt something deep inside me break free.

Ever since that night my heart has been torn. For the woman I loved that was killed because of my mistake, and for the woman I love and can never have.

A guardian never gets a happy ending, especially when it is the princess he is linked to.