N I N E T E E N

YEAR 2012
15th FEBRUARY

A shuffling sound made Ishita open her sleep filled eyes, she rubbed her eyes lazily and only realised herself in Raman's room who's no longer remained her fiance. She yawned aloud seeing him talking with someone in hushed tone, she gulped water from bottle she kept last night and unlocked her phone which was showing half past five of morning, she sighted realsing it was just two and half hours since she slept. She wrapped dupatta around her neck carelessly and went towards Raman with slow steps who was still busy on call, stood at the doorway of dressing room.

"You should have wake me up Raman." Her groggy voice left Raman startled and he immediately shoved phone inside of pockets of his pants after giving quick bye. He turned at other side where his wife was and caressed her cheeks softly.

"You was tired."

"So do you. I can still take rest but you....." Raman smiled guiltily seeing his newlywedded bride trying to say her words in between yawning.

"It's okay. I'm fine. You take your care in my absence. Mumma Papa Simmi all are here and...." Raman cupped Ishita cheeks still overwhelmed with the whirlwind of emotions erupting inside his stomach.

"Don't worry I will take care of myself." Ishita covered his palms with her own which were still resting on her cheeks. There eyes remained locked with each other until Raman phone beeped again making them apart from each other. Raman wore his jacket after talking briefly for seconds and took his suitcase. He hugged Ishita who immediately reciprocate the hug, he made her cover with shawl as they started started to descend through steps with entangled fingers. When Raman reached near maindoor he smiled looking at his family members who came to wish him happy journey. He greeted everyone one by one and held his ears looking at his mother disappointed face.

"Jaa tu. Khotta kahin ka." (Stupid fellow. Can't you keep your work aside for few days?) Santhosh made dejected face and hugged Ishita tightly rather than paying attention on her son. The family waved bye to Raman as the booked taxi came to pick him up to airport. When Raman started to take steps for ground floor Ishita was first one who ran towards the balcony and waved her hand with a sad smile, Raman Ishita eyes locked for another time for few seconds. She bit her lower lip seeing him sitting in car and soon his car disappeared from her sight.

"Kaisa bhai hai na mera. Pehle hi din meri bhabhi k rula diya."(What kind of idiotic brother I have. He made you cry on first day itself.) Ishita rubbed her eyes feeling her sister in law Simmi beside her. She tried to smile finding Simmi and gave another glance to the spot where her husband car was few seconds back. She rubbed her nose which was turning red as the snowy winds were hitting it. "Sacchi gadha hai mera bhai. Itni pyari si biwi ko akela chod ke chala gaya." (Only a fool would leave for work on first day of marriage.) Ishita chuckled listening her sister in law words who cursed her brother for another time. Ishita took Simmi hand in her and they came inside apartment after sliding the balcony door back. The ladies rubbed their arms realsing it was hell wintry outside, Ishita walked towards her mother in law who was drinking water, "Mummy Ji please let me know when I have to wake up. Some rituals needed to be done today as well?"

"Nahi Puttar ji. You look so tired and worn out so take proper rest instead of involving yourself in some chores. I have invited ladies for mooh dikhayi at evening only." Ishita nodded her head slowly, grateful of old lady who exempted her from any duties. She realised she was too exhausted to even stay stand at one place, she was having horrible cramps in her legs and lower back. "Puttar lock your room and have some sleep. I will send Simmi to wake you up later. Moreover it's just six of morning. We're not going to wake before nine." Santhosh managed to convoy her words somehow stiffening her yawns. Ishita wished everyone and silently went towards her room. Once locking her room from inside she threw her worn out body on bed and buried her head in heap of pillows. She took some pillows and set them beneath her legs which were paining horribly and settled her aching body on unfamiliar bed.