E I G H T Y - N I N E

D-401, TOWER D
EMERALD HEIGHTS HOUSING SOCIETY, DELHI

"Amma! I am asking you something."

"Bala.....please!"

"Please what Amma? Why you lied to Vandu? Aapko kya mila ye sab karke?"

Madhavi had nothing to say in her defense and she continued to cry holding her head. Bala pressed the bridge of his nose done with his mother in law attitude and rushed towards the kitchen to fetch a glass of water. His wife and son are not at home and Bala has no patience left to deal with his mother in law.

"Amma you need to speak up. ATLEAST NOW. I know she is not your desirable child but still she is a human. Answer me amma, whatever she said was true na?

Please bolo Amma."

Bala shook Madhavi through her arms making her look at him. The old woman broke into tears looking at her son in law and joined her hands in defence.

"Ishu galat nahi thi Bala." Madhavi fell on her knees crying out, she pressed her hands over her mouth just to suppress her cries but nothing worked in her favour. She kept crying and crying leaving Bala with his own questions.

"Woh galat nahi thi par aapne use sabke saamne galat bana diya Amma. Use khud ki hi behen ki nazro mein jhooti bana diya aapne.

Kyon amma?"

Madhavi had no answers of her son in law questions, Bala left the living hall feeling suffocated but Madhavi Iyer kept crying recalling her daughter words from the councilling session. Yes, she had attended both the sessions along Bala but never came in front of Ishita. Today Ishita made her meet with the reality she was trying to avoid since long, for years Madhavi Iyer lived in a denial, she lived in a believe that man can change, her husband can change but today she felt like someone woken her up from a deep sleep.

"Amma I don't know what reason you had behind your wrongdoings but all I can say is you have done injustice with her. You're the equal reason behind her sufferings Amma." She saw Bala going back in his room disappointed with her silence and she broke down into tears.

I am sorry Ishu.

Madhavi cried and cried in the dark room recalling every word her daughter said.

*******************

APARTMENT 20-B, TOWER-A
GULMOHAR ENCLAVES, NEW DELHI

The silence between them never bothered him than today, he sighed finding her playing with her dinner rather than eating it. He was observing her but honestly he had no strength to ask her anything. The day was emotionally heavy for them, if he himself was traumatized listening about atrocities done by her family than Ishita bore all the acts by her own. Whatever he heard was just one part of the coin, the other part still needed to be know but he is sure her mother lost her respect in his eyes. He lost all the respect he had for Madhavi Iyer once, no parent can never be helpless that she is unable to save her child.

He turned his face to other side listening hiccups coming from Ishita, Raman filled glass with water and passed to her.

"Jaan. Please."

"I am sorry Raman." Her voice filled with helplessness and vulnerability crushed his heart into pieces. Raman bore his wife in a possible tightest hug making her break down into tears.

"You don't have to be I know it's tough." He cupped her face but she was unable to control herself. Ishita kept crying in his arms. "You don't have to act strong, speak whatever you want, express how ever you wish but I want this pain out from your system Ishita. I want you to see free from the pain you carried all these years, your soul needed to be free."