chapter 28 (part 1)

Start from the beginning

            Tired from shopping, I ran upstairs and dropped my bags of clothes and changed into my pajama bottoms.  I slugged back downstairs because dad had already finished setting the table and I was starving. Dad, Renee and Bethany were all already sitting down at the table so I took my place next to Renee and across from Bethany.

            "Did you girls have fun?" Dad asked us before stuffing a pile of mashed potatoes in his mouth.

            "I did. I loved the gallery. It was so awesome." I answered enthusiastically while Renee just nodded.

            My dad smiled at me then looked over to Bethany who was gleaming.

            "What would you say was your favorite part Ruth?" Bethany asked.

            "Most defiantly the miniature town."  I said automatically.

            She smiled knowingly and said, "I figured that was your favorite. Ruth seemed to take a liking to photography though." She informed my dad.

            "Really now?" He said to me.

            "I guess, yeah." I confirmed.

                        "That's great, Ruthy." He told me.

            We all finished eating having a light conversation about school and memories. I think if my dad and Bethany did get married that I would be able to get used to this. I really like Bethany and she would be a great addition to the family. She is nice and caring and really loves my dad. I wonder why my dad hasn't proposed to her yet. He seems really hesitant for some reason. I'm planning on getting it out of him one way or the other. He deserves to be happy with Bethany.

            Before going upstairs to get ready for bed and school the next day, I went to the kitchen to call Nicole to see what she was up to today. And, maybe I wanted to get any information I could to help me discover why Nate was at the gallery... After the twelfth ring I gave up and went upstairs to take a shower and then do my homework.

            An hour later I still hadn't finished my homework because I kept thinking back to the gallery. I was really interested in the art and how almost anyone can create something and have it showcased for everyone else to see. It made me want to do the same, create something that I am proud of and have other people fall in love with it. The only problem is, is that I have no idea how to do that. I have always been interested in art but never had the talent for it. What had Bethany said today? Something like there is other ways to create art? Like what though? A thought clicked in my head. The brochure that I took from the gallery today had the different examples of art that was there. Maybe I could find something in it that would give me and idea of what I could try.

            I got up and went to where my purse was on the floor and went through it trying to find the brochure. I turned the bag upside down unable to locate where it was. I could have sworn that I put it my purse after looking at it. I was about to go find the jeans that I wore today to see if that's where I put them when a knock at my door stopped me. I looked up to the door to see my dad peak in.

            "Bethany and I are going to the movies. We should be back by eleven. And Renee went out with some friends. Will you be alright here by yourself?" He asked.

            I shrugged, "I'll be fine. I'm just going to finish my homework then go to bed."

            "Okay. Good-night."

            "Night."

            He left my room and I went back to searching for those jeans when I heard my dad yell, "Ruth! Les is here."

            My eyes widened and my heart started to beat fast as flashes of last night came to me. Les was going to tell me something important but was interrupted before he could. Was he here to tell me now? I know that I have been begging him to tell me but now I wasn't so sure that I was ready to know. It was something serious and I didn't want to be disappointed or upset about whatever he had to tell me. On the other hand, I am his best friend and he should be able to tell me everything no matter how harsh or terrible it is.

            Abandoning the search of my jeans I went downstairs to see Les standing in the foyer looking extremely nervous. Although he still looked too skinny and tired, his face had more color and he was able to stand straight. When he saw me he ran his hand through his hair and gave me a small smile that didn't even come close to reaching his eyes. I could tell that he came over to finish telling me what he was going to yesterday but he was really scared to do so. To give him some courage I immediately went up to him and gave him a hug. I patted him on the back and led him to the living room. I gave him an encouraging smile and sat down right next to him putting my hand on his.

Don't think of this as a cliff hanger, think of it as a preview to the real chapter, Sorry :/

In the meantime check out the preview to my other story lol

http://www.wattpad.com/834512-from-grace-to-may