Chapter 33

Sorry all! I was doing well at updating and then I got busy again! I just wanted to check in and make sure you all are well, times are scary. I hope my book brings you some joy. We are nearly finished with this one, but I am planning a sequel and wondering if that is something you'd all be interested in—let me know in the comments (and if you say nay I'll probably write on anyways 😂)
Stay safe friends!

Tony P.O.V

I'm desperately searching the expanse of land below, but it's been nearly 5 minutes and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary and time is of the most importance in these kind of situations. Just as I'm about to turn around and look the other direction, Jarvis' cool, collected voice fills my ears, "Sir, Miss Stark is located 100 yards west, outside that unused warehouse."

My stomach lurches and I frantically survey the landscape until I spot the old abandoned building, and there, a tiny figure waving its arms erratically. I feel a wave of relief as I propel myself in her direction, this time I won't let anyone get in between my daughter and I, and I fully intend on promising her this the second I sweep her into my arms.

"Sir," Jarvis says cautiously, "I am picking up a large presence, but it doesn't seem to be human." The sweet relief I felt a moment ago is replaced by a gut-wrenching dread as a large figure appears behind Callie and swiftly gets ahold of her, dragging her away with him.

"No!" I scream, and all I see is red, "Jarvis fire the missiles at the warehouse!"

"Yes sir," Jarvis obeys, and I hear the soft clink as the two explosives leave my suit and are sent whizzing into the building ahead. The few seconds before they hit is agony, the entire world seems to be silent, and I find myself holding my breath.

When the missiles collide with the warehouse the cacophony of blasts and explosions can be heard for miles around. The building bursts into flames, the heat so intense that I can feel the temperature spike through my suit.

The man below stops abruptly, looking up at the flaming warehouse and then turns slowly, looking up to make direct eye contact. He growls menacingly and tosses the child aside, her body, limp and unmoving, lands in a heap on the ground.

For a moment I stop dead in my tracks, my gut is clenched in the fear that she might be dead, but I shake my head, dislodging the thought. She's not dead, he wouldn't be carrying her around if she was, and besides, I don't have time to worry about it right now.

I blast forward as quickly as my suit allows, raising my right and shoot a powerful blast through my palm, straight into the face of target. Then, with a quick push down from my left hand, I propel myself back up, but not quick enough! I misjudged his height and speed, and as curses with the damage I've caused his face he grabs my left heel, yanking down hard.

I pull my right knee up high to my chest and then directing energy through the soles of both feet, I kick down into his head, successfully freeing myself, and causing my attacker to reel back in pain.

My eyes find Callie, and I decide now is the time to make our escape, I fly to her and just as I'm about to touch my feet to the ground I hear a strange whooshing sound. I turn my head just in time to see Madame Beatrice's Buick come whizzing through the air, sending me flying and landing heavily on my chest as I hit the ground, causing my head to whip backwards, bouncing off the ground.

The collision has done its damage and I find myself feeling light headed and breathless. I feel like I'm on the verge of passing out, looking up desperately to see the monster hovering over Callie. He bends, grasping her wispy, newly grown hair in his huge hand— a hand large enough he could have enveloped her entire head in his palm if he wanted to—and lifting her limp body up for inspection. Seeing the faint rise and fall of her chest and the weigh she groaned slightly at the discomfort of his actions, he nods in satisfaction that she is indeed alive, drops her again and turns to me, smiling.

"I'm going to have to finish you off before we go, Tony Stark." His voice low and calculated.
Then, a roar, loud and terrifying erupts, causing the flaming building to quiver and the purple beast's head to snap up with horror. And this time it's my turn to smile.

Steve P.O.V

We flew to Tony's estate and as we approached we heard an eruption.

"I think we need to go that way," I say, motioning to the pillar of smoke rising from the direction of the explosion.

Banner nods in agreement, a determined grimace on his face. I always find it humorous, the sight of Bruce in a suit and tie, while the rest of us are dressed for battle.

Nat steps up to be in line with us, grasping Bruce's shoulder, "keep the big guy in until we see what we're dealing with okay?"

"I'll try, but I can't make any promises," he says with a sarcastic laugh.

"Enough of this talk," Thor interjects, raising his hammer to his shoulder. "Let's go destroy whoever it is that took the little one."

We all nod in agreement, and taking off at a sprint toward the pillar of smoke indicating our destination.

Once we're close we veer off the road into the wooded area. I raise a hand for the group to slow, and crouch low to the ground, peering through the bushes to see the clearing with the flaming warehouse.

We see Tony and a huge creature having an altercation, and then he blasts away to a small lump on the ground. But before he can grab it the purple beast hurles a vehicle sending Tony flying, and then strides over to the lump, lifting it with one hand.

Once elevated it is clear that he is holding the body of a small child by the hair—beside me Bruce begins trembling.

"Just wait," I whisper, knowing that he's about to crack.

"He's hurting the baby!" He growls raising his face to mine; it is already tinted green, full of rage, and I know that it's too late.

Bowing his head he released a roar and the Hulk rips through Bruce's dress clothes, and catapults his body through the brush and towards the creature and Callie.