Chapter 57

Tony P

Tony P.O.V

I feel like absolute shit. I'm just like my dad, no I'm worse than my dad. Worse because I can't control my kid, worse because I've probably traumatized her all over again, worse because I've just emotionally butchered the boy in the backseat who seems to view me like a father. Steve is still crying and we've almost made it to the local Walmart which is nearly 20 minutes from Clint's, at least Callie is sleeping now.

Thor pulls into the Walmart parking lot and turns off the car, turning to me with raised eyebrows. "Help him." He mouths and I nod with a sigh.

"Take Callie with the stroller? We'll meet you in there in a minute. I was thinking Lego and she needs new pajamas and a few t-shirts and pants, smaller ones. Like we have all 4 and 5Ts we need 2 and 3s."He nods and does as I say, Steve stays put in his seat, hanging his head low, sniffling morosely.

I get out of the passenger side and slide into the backseat beside him, "hey, Stevie, look at me." I say, feeling myself beginning to get emotional. He shakes his head, pressing his fist to his eyes, I sigh in frustration, I'm not good at this shit, why does he like me so much?

"Steve?" I whisper, choking over his name, I push my fingertips into the back of his neck, gently massaging. He starts to cry hard again, "shit," I mutter, now thoroughly confused, he liked this before.

"I'm sorry I punched you," he says between sobs.

"Hey, hey no, look at me." I grab his face and he looks up at me through his dark, teary lashes, "I deserved it. And it doesn't matter, I shouldn't have said what I said, you're a good boy, you're my good boy. I, I love you buddy, I want you at home."

"You're crying," he says, wiping my cheek.

"Like you should talk," I roll my eyes and then kiss him on the forehead.

"I'm sorry I keep calling you Dad, I know it's weird..."

"It's... different? I don't mind that we, uh, have this sort of friendship, but we need to stop these random angsty outbursts," I chuckle. "Let's go meet Thor?"

He nods, "yeah I'm feeling a bit better." We get out of the car and walk into the store, "sorry I don't know why I've been so, so angry and emotional lately."

"It's okay pal, you're young, newish body right? Things are weird for you. Plus, you just unfroze like a year ago, I'm sure it's hard." He just nods and gets really quiet, shoving his hands deep in his pockets.

We soon find Thor pushing the still sleeping Callie in the toy section, holding two boxes of Lego, he looks up smiling, "oh there you guys are! You feeling better bud?" He asks Steve, giving him an awkward side hug.