Chapter 4

I woke up, shivering on the cold cement but that's nothing new; I can't remember a day that I didn't wake up cold and hurting. At least I woke of my own accord today, some mornings 'Mother' wakes me by beating me with a switch, sometimes she just pushes that horrible button, sending shocks through my entire body... No today is a better day than some, that's for sure.

I slowly push myself off the floor, testing my level of pain. I don't make it very far before the harsh reality of last night's beating reminds me that there is no such thing as a good day, my legs unable to hold me I collapse back to the floor. My throat hurts so badly, it always does after he visits, I can never even talk for the next few days, not that I have anyone to talk to. The worst part is the fact that I'm basically immobile after butt-chin visits me; it means that if someone comes to visit I'm helpless, I can't fight back.

I hate him.

He's one of the only guests that mother doesn't poke me for. Basically, everyone else that comes down those stairs has her poke me first so that I pass out, or atleast nothing feels real. Aside from the man that brings the chocolate, that needle is the best thing in my life. And if I've gone a few days without it, I get really sick and I feel like I'm going to die. That will probably happen tonight seeing as he was my only customer yesterday--aside from Chocolate-Man.

Thinking about the candy-bar makes my stomach growl, it's all I've had to eat for 2 days.

I've just managed to get myself into a seated position when I feel the vibration of footsteps coming down to the cellar. They're not footsteps I recognize though... in fact, I think there's more than one set of them. That's unusual, that doesn't happen very often--though it's never fun when it does.

Fuck.

I look around desperately, I have to hide before they get down here! I scoot my way over to the wall and begin to climb it, mainly using my left arm with a little help from my legs; my right arm is just hanging, completely useless to me, but my legs--even though they aren't capable of standing at the moment, are still able to help even just a little as I ascend up the wall to hang off the ceiling.

I pull myself tight to the roof in the corner of the room, hiding in the darkness.

I hear the loud click as the bolt is undone, and the door slowly swings open. Through the light coming from the upstairs, I can see two silhouettes. One is slightly taller than the other, but the light is so blinding I can't make out much. When they close the door I can't see anything for a few seconds until my eyes adjust, but I can feel everything. And this time, I'm confused. They don't feel like hate or cruelty, they feel... nervous?

When I can finally see, I notice that the taller man is holding out a candy bar, just like the ones the Chocolate-man brings me; only, he doesn't look like the chocolate-man. For starters, his skin is lighter, and he has dark hair on his head, as well as some on his upper lip and chin, and the short one has more hair than the other, its a bit longer and curls all over the place--but what I notice the most is that he has a kind face, I've never seen a face like that before. They glance at each other and continue searching in the darkness with their eyes, they can't see me; it's not surprising no one usually can.

"You can come out," calls the taller man.

Slowly, I start crawling forward.