Chapter 3

I hope you guys are enjoying the first few Chapters! I'm sorry there's been a bit of a delay for the 3rd, I've had an insane week. I've decided to write from a different point of view every chapter, let me know how you like it! :) I realize that in the movies Tony actually wanted a baby, but for the story's sake, we're switching that around a little bit.

Tony's P.O.V

Bruce and I are driving to the address Fury had given us--scratch that, I'm driving, he's sitting there with a worried look on his face. He hasn't said a word since we left the jet.

"Hey Tony."

Oh, he speaks! "Yeah?"

"How does Pepper feel about your decision not to have your own kids? And on that same thread, how did she react when you told her you're planning to adopt this kid?" Bruce looked at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Ah... She's not thrilled." I cringed, remembering her crying and screaming at me as a ran out the door with my suitcase. "When she thinks about how unrealistic it would be for me to have my own kid, I'm sure she'll see it my way."

"Yeah, sure," Bruce turned forward smirking. "How are you going to handle it if she isn't nice to the kid?"

"Who wouldn't be nice to an emotionally traumatized 5-year-old? I think it will be fine." I shrugged, trying to convince him as much as myself.

It must have worked because Bruce sighed, shrugged his shoulders, and turned to gaze out the window. The truth is Pepper is 100% against me adopting this little girl, she was enraged. She told me not to expect her to be its mother. So, I actually have no idea how this is going to turn out.

"I think we're here Tony," said Bruce, drawing me out of my thoughts. I had been driving mindlessly, deep in thought, I hadn't even been taking in the scenery around me.

Although... it wasn't all that "scenic". In fact, I had never been to a more sketchy area in all my life, albeit I've never known poverty, but glancing at Bruce I could tell that he felt the same.

"Holy shit," I muttered. The house was on a street of homes that looked pretty abandoned, everything was overgrown and the houses were falling apart.

"Well, this is it. Let's go in," said Bruce, undoing his seat belt and opening the door, I followed suit.

We climbed up the rickety old porch steps and knocked on the door, it's paint was peeling and it was missing a doorknob. I decided that must be deliberate, if no one can open the door then no one can discover what lives in the basement.

There was a cacophony of locks being undone, and the door creaked open to reveal the same frail old woman that Fury had exchanged money with. She said nothing, just stared at us through one beady eye, the other was a cloudy white. I heard Bruce say that we were here for an exchange, she nodded her head and let us enter.

In this case, the book definitely matched the cover. There were flies buzzing everywhere and black mold inhabited the crevices where the ceiling connects the wall. The smell was pungent, like old food, and there was a faint smell of vinegar.

She led us to the top of the same stairwell that Nick had descended.

"Are you planning to enter alone or together." she croaked.

"Together," I replied, "it's more fun that way," I added, throwing in a smirk so the lie would be more believable.

"Alright, you'll pay double then, and do you want her 'live or sedated?"

"Alive."

"Well, two of you should be able to manage. But if you fall to any harm, I'm not to blame," she warned, reaching out her hand for the money.

Fury had explained that anyone that solicits here already knows the price. It's all by word of mouth so that she knows who is a true customer.

Bruce slowly placed the cash in her hands, and her knobbly fingers quickly wrapped around it, stuffing it in her tunic.

Bruce and I glanced at each other warily, and then cautiously began descending the steep stairwell.