Chapter 14

Some clarification on the timeline: Tony Stark is still living in his Malibu Mansion and the rest of the Avengers are in the new Avengers Facility. Most of the story won't line up as far as time between particular events goes, but hopefully this solves some confusion.

Bruce P.O.V

Steve just took Callie to find something to eat, Tony was whisked away by Pepper, and Thor had just stood up and announced that he was heading back to the Avengers Facility so Natasha and I are left alone.

I glance at her, nervous but also thrilled to be alone in the same room, and I go find a seat on the sectional and make a silent prayer that she'll join me.
And it looks like the universe heard me because she soon follows and sits on the edge of the ottoman, "so Bruce, what do you think about being an uncle?" She asks, her ruby lips spreading into a cheeky smile.

I am painfully aware of her knees gently brushing mine, "Aha, yeah," I stutter awkwardly, "it's pretty crazy."

"How are you going to manage the 'other' guy with a little kid around?" She asks, her voice is slightly more cautious.

I let out a bitter laugh, "don't remind me. I don't think Tony was thinking about that when he volunteered to adopt her." I look away, feeling foolish for having felt excited about the possibility of being an uncle.

"Bruce, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way." She whispers.
"We can make it work, I'm sure of it. And besides this is the only chance you'll have at having any semblance of a child," Natasha pauses, reaching across and placing her hand over mine, "and the same goes for me."

My heart skips a beat at the touch of her hand. I don't want the moment to stop, so with a burst of bravery I gently turn my hand and interlock my fingers with hers. She peers up at me through thick lashes, her lips are parted slightly making my mouth go dry. Nat begins tracing circles up my arm with her other hand, her fingernails leaving my arm tingling. Taking her lead I move forward to the edge of the sofa spreading my knees so they straddle hers, I slowly stroke the length of her arm with the back of my free hand; when I reach her neck she leans closer, turns her head and softly kisses my finger tips.

My breathing becomes slightly ragged, and Nat glances down and bites her bottom lip, looking up at me with those emerald eyes and a slight smirk. I blush, embarrassed by the blatant bulge indicating my arousal.

"Sorry," I sputter, "I haven't had any kind of... romantic experience since the other guy." I'm completely humiliated, I may as well be the 40-year-old virgin.

I'm about to pull away when Natasha begins shushing me, she takes her left hand from my arm and moves it to my knee; while dancing her fingers up to my thigh she brings her face close to mine and our lips are an inch from meeting.

And then...

"Hey Bruce!"

Tony's voice cutting through our moment, while he's still out of eye shot Natasha quickly pulls away and I sit back frantically grabbing a cushion and placing it over my lap.

"Uh, y-yeah Tony?" I respond, my voice breaking slightly, giving me away.

"Would you be able to stay here tonight? I think I'll need help with the kid if she has any withdrawal or whatever." He asks, completely oblivious to the heated encounter he just diffused.

"Yes, definitely." Is all I can come up with.

"Ok sweet, I'm just going to go find her, I should probably try getting her settled in for bed." He says, stalking off to the kitchen.

"I'll come in a minute," I call and lay my head back on the couch, closing my eyes and willing my lower region to calm down.

I hear Natasha snicker, as she stands up she leans into my ear whispering, "I've got to go big guy, but you may want to take care of that or you might not be so comfortable tonight."

She quickly kisses my cheek and like that the moment has passed and I'm left sitting alone cursing Tony Stark.