Chapter 15

Callie P.O.V

Uncle Steve fed me something he'd called 'leftovers' and apologized not having anything better, but I don't know why he under sold it so much, it was the best food I've ever had in my life!

I'm now feeling particularly drowsy, I could fall asleep instantly, but I have an all too familiar feeling in my tummy. It's the kind of feeling I get when I've gone too long without a poke, and I can already tell that I'll probably be spending the next few days sick and hurting, and not actually getting much sleep.

I catch myself absentmindedly wondering if Daddy will poke me, but somehow I don't think so; whenever I got poked it was followed by cruel men hurting me, I just didn't mind as much because I was in a euphoria from the drug, and I don't feel like those kind of things are going to happen here.

"Oh there you are!" Says Daddy, breaking me out of my ponderings. I can instantly tell that he isn't as happy as he was before he went away with the redheaded lady. 

I want to read him, I don't do it very often because usually what I would see just made things worse for me, but I have to find out what's happened to make him so upset.

I reach my arms out to him, and he smiles lifting me into his arms. I instantly put my hands on either side of his face, his eyes are full of confusion but I ignore that and close my eyes for just a moment.

In these few 5 seconds I can see everything as if I was there but looking through a foggy window, the words are slightly muddled and I have to squint to see clearly. But I can still get the gist of it, the direct cause of his feelings in this particular moment.

I see the redheaded woman screaming, she is very upset. It always takes a minute for me to properly hear everything that they are saying, and at the moment only the odd word comes through.

I watch as Daddy speaks and reaches out towards the woman, and to my shock she strikes his hand; it is very clear to me that this hurts him deeply.

And then the woman speaks, and I'm finally able to hear every word.

"I wanted a baby, your baby. Not some random, damaged kid. But you just chose to adopt her, and you decided you wouldn't be having children of your own, without even asking what I thought about it." She is crying now, and it takes me a moment before I realize that she is referring to me.

I am the damaged kid.

And I guess it's true, but Daddy seems bothered by that statement and defends his decision.

I hear her spit out something about him "not to expect her to play mommy" and then she leaves, and his sadness envelopes the room.

I watch as he sits down on the edge of his bed and wipes a hand across his face. I'm under the impression that he had hoped she would come around. And for his sake I hope so, but there is a part of me that is glad to be rid of her.

I decide to exit his memory and open my eyes. His face is just as confused as when I left it, but that's natural, for him the moment only lasted 5 seconds, memories are funny that way. You can remember something that happened over the course of an hour within only a few moments.

I gently wrap my arms around his neck and lay my head into his shoulders and that seems to make him happy.

"We don't need her" I think to myself, "I don't want another mother."

I hope you all are enjoying the story so far! If you are I'd love it if you would vote and comment just so I know what you'd like to read more of! 💕