Chapter 47

Steve P

Steve P.O.V

It's been a few weeks since the day Clint came to visit and the only sign of the Nerf incident is some light greenish colouring on the underside of my testicles, but otherwise they're not hardly even sore now. The only lingering pain is the utter humiliation of the entire day. I've hardly been able to look at Bruce since he checked me, and Tony keeps smirking at me and asking 'how Rose and Jack are today?'. Needless to say, I'm unsure if I'll ever live that day down.

I am sitting at the kitchen table doing the crossword and Tony is standing behind me snorting at my guesses and then trying to help me figure out what the actual answer is. His chest is pressed against my back and I find it oddly comforting, I lean back into him so he knows I don't want him to leave.

"Steve buddy... no." He laughs hard and I feel the rough bristle of his goatee scratch the back of my neck. I pause in my writing of the word 'mad' for 3 letters across, the hint being  'anger, temper, wrath and indignation.'

I flip over my pencil and erase it, "what is it then?"

"Starts with an I..." he says, squeezing my shoulder.

I write "irk" and he holds his breath until I write the 'K' and then he chuckles.

"You're so close Steve."

I erase the 'K', "just tell me what it is Tony," I groan, looking at him from the corner of my eye.

He's about to answer me when the room is filled with squealing and loud, Thunder god-like laughter. Tony sighs and rolls his eyes as Callie comes racing into the kitchen, giggling and screaming as Thor tails close behind, laughing hard as he chases her.

She rushes under the table sitting on my foot, and Thor plunges under to grab her, knocking the table and causing Tony's coffee to spill all over. I snatch up my crossword, keeping it dry. I run to grab a towel, leaving my warm comfortable spot wedged between Tony's chest and the table.

"Thor, take her out of here please!" Tony growls, shouting above their voices.

"Sorry, I'll catch her. Come here little rascal!" He laughs, crawling under the table and dragging out the baby by her foot, lifting her above his head.

"Thor that's not safe!" I yelp, running over.

"It's fine Steven, don't be such a Debbie-downer." Thor scoffs.

I'm about to grab the upside down little lady when Tony pulls me back by the collar of my shirt. "No, leave him, let's finish the crossword."

I nod and for some inexplicable reason I feel my face flush in anticipation. I sit down and he puts his right arm on the table, hovering over my back making my spine tingle. "Okay... I, R, and...?"