Chapter 39

Steve P

Steve P.O.V

We get back to the house and Tony is busy getting his cast removed so I decide to give Callie a bath before putting her down for a nap.

"You're all dirty from the sand, " I tell her as I brush some grime off her nose and I notice the tears making tracks through the dust on her cheeks.

I bring her to the ensuite in her room and while the tub is filling, remove the dirty clothes, tossing them in the laundry hamper. "You okay?" I ask, kneeling down and poking her bare tummy. She shrugs her shoulders, grabbing onto my hand and opening my fingers, keeping her focus down as she plays with them. "Look at Uncle." I lift her chin with my free hand, but she sticks out her bottom lip keeping her eyes down, her long dark lashes silhouetted against her cheeks. I wrap my hand around her bottom and pull her to my chest, her forehead pressing against my collarbone.

"It will be better next time, " I tell her as I lift her little naked body and put her into the bathtub.

"No. No next time, " she whispers. She's crying now, the salty droplets splashing into the bathwater, "I no good, I bad at park."

I pause in my washing, a lump forming in my throat, "hey, Callie look at me, " I say, my voice hitching.

She glances up through her thick, wet lashes, "that's not true, you are my best little girl, they just don't know you, " I whisper, a tear escaping down my cheek. She watches it with curiosity, and then her eyes flash blue and she puts a hand on my face, covering the fresh tear.

I feel her pushing into my conscience, something I'm never overly fond of, so I grab her hand and kiss it. "You don't need to do that, just look at me pumpkin." I sniff, holding her face in my hand, "Uncle loves you so much that when you're sad it makes me sad. Don't you ever believe that you are bad or unimportant, you are the most important person in my life."

"Okay, you best Uncle." She whispers, her voice raspy, "Callie love Uncle."

"And Uncle loves Callie, " I laugh and poke her nose, "okay, let's wash this little girl now."

She nods, grinning as she pushes a wet finger onto the tip of my own nose.

"Hey," I chuckle, flicking the water to splash her, and I regret it instantly. She squeals and smacks her hands down, drenching me. "Callie!" I sputter through the water dripping down my face.

She giggles and kicks her legs this time, sending a tsunami of waves gushing over the sides of the tub onto my lap. "Okay okay okay, " I say grabbing her limbs, trying to control my temper, "enough, you got Uncle soaking wet. We're going to finish washing you and then it's nap time" I say sternly and she pouts at me.

She grumbles but quiets down, I shampoo her hair and then proceed to wash her body with the excess soap on my hands. I always feel nauseated when my fingers run over the scars, raised skin where it should be baby smooth. They cover her body, becoming more dense in her private areas.