Chapter 10

Tony P.O.V

The ride home was quick, just as I'd promised. And like that, we were moving from jet to car, and from car to the my mansion; or rather... home. 

The closer we get the more nervous I become. For one, this isn't exactly a place for a kid to grow up and Pepper... we didn't part on very good terms. Hopefully, she just keeps it between ourselves and doesn't involve the kid. 

Callie, still in my arms, is looking around frantically, her grip tight on my jacket. In an attempt to ease her anxiety I begin pointing out and giving names to everyone we pass. And while she was momentarily distracted by her surroundings I decide to take a minute and really look at this kid that was going to be a permanent part of my life.

Aside from her swollen, filthy face that had shocked me earlier, and even still makes my stomach twist into a knot; I notice her hair, if you can call it that. It's a bloody, cakey mess and I have to stifle a gasp when I notice all the critters making a home in it. I decide on the spot that she can sport a shaved head for the first few months, she likely doesn't have any attachment to her hair anyways.

Callie's head quickly snaps back at me, and for a second I'm worried that she has read my mind or some shit, I don't know what it is but the knowing in her eyes really throws me. But she raises an eyebrow and nods her head towards Bruce who is stopped a few feet in front of us looking at me quizzically; I begin to get the feeling that I've missed something so I give Bruce an eyebrow and say, "what?"

"Lost in thought?" He asks with a smirk, "I turned around and you were just standing there."

"Oh, yeah. I don't know." I shrug, I hadn't even noticed that I'd stopped walking, "Let's get this kid to the bathroom and clean her up." I add quickly and begin putting one foot in front of the other again.

"Yeah Tony, that's what we were doing in the first place," Bruce mumbles as he resumes walking.

I look back to Callie and I swear I can see a hint of amusement in her face, but she finally turns her gaze away from me, and I feel a wave of relief. The thought of having a child that could read my mind, combined with imagining that I might have to pick nits out of her hair makes me shudder.

A few moments later we are turning into my bedroom and into my ensuite. Bruce begins filling the tub while I strip Callie, sit her on the toilet seat, and begin prepping to get rid of her hair.
A moment later I have a stool and a plastic bag spread on the floor and we are ready to get started.

(Sorry this chapter was a bit shorter guys! I wrote it on my cellphone while we were on a road trip so I didn't realize how short it was until I got back to a computer.)