Chapter 70

Natasha P.O.V

I'm beyond pissed at Tony. Clint had been, but an hour into Tony's charming antics and he seems to have completely forgotten about the incident. Not me though. The way he handles Steve is so unacceptable, it's bordering on abusive, but I don't know what to do about it.

Bruce squeezes my hand and whispers, "Stop staring. You're going to embarrass him."

I pull my eyes away from the young man and the toddler playing i-spy and look at my boyfriend. "Sorry. It's just, ugh, I hate it. He doesn't deserve to be treated like that."

"You're right. But you know he can hear, even if we're whispering."

Steve's cheeks are pinker than last I'd looked and he glances up. I quickly look away, but Bruce winks causing Cap's blush to deepens as he turns back to Callie. "Yes. I know." I whisper back, looking directly at Steve. "Which is why I'm saying, it's abusive and that he shouldn't put up with it. I--we care about him and don't want him to be treated like shit and then keep crawling back like a dog."

"Ah, I see." Bruce shifts an arm around my shoulders. "Well--"

"Anybody ready for a drink?" Tony says, cutting our conversation short.

"I'm not a dog." Steve meets my eyes, his voice catching.

Tony raises an eyebrow and chuckles. "Sounds like Cap is ready for a drink."

He looks about ready to cry when he accepts his beer. Bruce puts one in my hand and gives me a meaningful look.

"It's not even ten-thirty!" Clint laughs, snagging two beverages and handing one to Laura.

"We're on holiday."

"Cheers to that!"

Everyone clinks bottles, except Cap. He holds his in his lap, staring at it. I lean over to tap the top of mine to his and he swipes his eyes with his t-shirt, his belly button flashing. When he finally holds ups his beer, I whisper. "I know you're not a dog. I'm sorry."

His lips curl up slightly. "It's okay." He takes a drink.

"Hey, Tony," Clint says, "I meant to ask how you got a limo with car seat connections, most of them don't have it."

"I had it specially made. Your kids honestly don't have to be buckled in. I just had it done because Callie is hell when she's loose in tight spaces."

"She isn't that bad," Steve pouts, kissing the baby's head.

"Maybe not for you."

"Does that mean I can take her out?"

"Not yet. You can take her out when she's calm near nap time."

"It's not fair if Clint and Laura's kids get to come out."

"Steven--"

"Oh, no. They're fine. We might let them out if they ask, but they can stay in their seats for now." Laura's answer effectively diffuses the situation.

"Uncle havin a dwink?" Callie says, patting Steve's arm.

"Yep." He takes a swig of his beer.

"Cal have dwink?" When she says 'Cal' it comes out more like 'cow', but he doesn't correct her, he never does.

"Well, this is a grown up drink, but you could have some water?"

"No water." She crosses her arms, eyebrows bunching.

"What would you like?" His voice is raspy. It always has a bit of a gravel to it, something I've always found oddly attractive, but it's more pronounced today, likely from all the crying.